Bedtime routines

I hear that its good to get babies in a routine for bedtime. My son is only 7weeks old, can I start a routine now, or should I wait till he's a little older?

One of the things I want as part of the routine is bath time since he seems to enjoy it. Our pediatrician said he does not need a bath everyday this young, only every few days. When can I start giving him baths more often?

julietelise

Asked by julietelise at 9:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ive been giving my son a bath everyday since he was born. before his umbillical cord fell off, i obviously gave him the sponge or washcloth bath, but i did that everyday and then once his cord fell off, i gave him a real bath everyday. i just put lots of lotion all over him when he got out. & i used the john & johnson bedtime bath soap and lotion which helped him sleep really good. my son loves his bath and theres no reason not to give them a bath everyday. they just get dry skin, which is why you put lotion on.. and A&D on there butt & penis area..
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I started a routine at this age. I like having a schedule. It will vary because she is so young, but I still tried. I have done this with all 3 of my children, and the all slept through the night by 2 months. I would feed them before I went to bed until they were ion solids and then I cut that feeding out. I don't think they need a bath everyday until they are on the move getting dirty. I gave her one every other day.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Absolutely! Begin your routine now so that he will grow up knowing what happens at bed time. You really don't need to bathe him every day, but if you want to make a bath part of the bedtime routine, put a little warm water in his bathtub and let him enjoy that, dry him off and continue your routine. Ours was bath, story time, kisses and hugs, tuck in and sleep time.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think I gave the routine with the bath around 3 months. My youngest is 9 months and he still only gets washed with soap a couple times a week, or more if he has food in his hair that I missed. But he still plays in the tub with his brother every night.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:40 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I give my son a bath everyday twice a day actually one in the morning and one at night the night one he just plays in the water for a bit cause thats what he likes to do. As for a good time set routine i can't even do that one yet there are nights he will go to bed at 7 and some he wont fall asleep until 9 depends on what you do during the day with them and it also depends on how many naps they take my son is almost 11 months old so just work on it and you will get it no real hurry till they go to school really.
    mommy2b924

Answer by mommy2b924 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• A bedtime routine is what relaxes my now crazy 6 and 4 year old. We take baths every other day (unless they are really gross and request one), then it's a snack (with no sugar unless fruit) along with milk then we read at least 20 minutes. Now that Alexander is 6 1/2, he reads us a book or two. Katie has started reading/memorizing the Mo Willems books about the pigeon, Gerald and Piggy so she can feel smart too. Then it's bedtime.

There was a suggestion too that I found helpful about Mom not being able to work past 8pm due to Dept of Labor laws. So, the kids/Dad know that they need to get it together before then if they want Mom to read and such. At 801pm, Mom is "off". It works great for us although we use 9pm.
    SuzyQMI

Answer by SuzyQMI at 10:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Baths are not a good habit to form. It can over dry the skin, is stimulating to some babies and what happens when you can't or don't want to bathe? If you insist on elaborate ritual or specific times what happens when you are out for the noon nap? The best routine is subtle activity. normal day activity and noise, at night low lights soft sounds minimal activity. sleep patterns change a lot in the first year so just work with your baby's natural patterns. They should be able to sleep just about anywhere imo.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:41 PM on Jul. 25, 2010