Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vbac or c-section

So i just found out today that I am pregnant. I had a c section about a year ago. When I delever this baby I plan to get my tubes tied. I was also told for "not a dr" that when you have a c setion the 2nd time that they will remove that wierd skin that shouldnt be there after my 1 c section. So what do you think I should try a vbac or go for a c section.. I will be talking to my dr, but cant get an appt until I am 8 weeks along.

Answer Question

Asked by twinsnseptember at 9:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 6 (108 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • Just go with what is best for your baby---and follow your Doctor's advice because HE knows best about whether or not you can do a VBAC or a C-section.
    Good luck!

    Answer by gertie41 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • if your are generally low risk and healthy it is safer to try for a VBAC for most women.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 9:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • I had a c section with my first and was trying for natural. So this has been on my mind since then. I am not pregnant with a second child yet, but the decision I have made is that I will see what happens when I reach my due date. I'll plan and practice for a vbac, but if my due date comes and goes like it did with my first I will not induce, I'll just go ahead with the c section.

    Answer by beckcorc at 9:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • i disagree with gertie. most doctors do not know much about the natural birthing process. Ask your doctor. but get a second opinion from a local midwife.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 9:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • As far as removing the weird skin...I am not sure, I think that generally speaking OB's are all about getting the job done, not worrying about your bikini body. That would be left up too the plastic surgeon. Just my opinion.

    I have heard of several of my friends who had their tubes tied and it made their periods unbearable. Not sure if a Dr would agree with that or not, or maybe they were just going to have bad periods anyways...but it scared dh will be going to get a snippy snip....:) Its the least he can do after I have birthed 3

    Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • Your doctor may not give you a choice since the babies are so close together. I think it depends on why you had a c-section the first time, and the situation with your second pregnancy as you get closer to delivery. My 2nd baby was 7 years after my 1st, the first was an emergency c-section due to toxemia. My 2nd pregnancy went very smoothly, so they gave me the choice.....until the end, when my baby was sideways, then they scheduled a c-section. At the last minute he turned, so they said I could wait, but it was hours before my c-section was scheduled, and I decided to just have the c-section after all. My 3rd son, they didn't give me the choice, they said I had to have a c-section, they were born 2 years apart, and technically it was my 4th surgery because I'd had an ectopic pregnancy that exploded.

    Your doctor will give you the best information. Congratulations and good luck!

    Answer by ohwrite at 9:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • that is a very personal decision! i have never had a c-section but i'm pretty sure my choice would be VBAC because it's generally the safer choice for both mom and baby. my son was a preemie and in the NICU for 26 days and so many babies came through with breathing problems because they didn't get the fluid pushed out of their lungs through vaginal birth. i heard the docs say that's a common occurrence w/ c-sections. i had always read that was the case but just seeing it time after time...

    Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • vbac is better for the health of the baby and mother in most cases. Look into the ICAN network to help you figure out what would be best for you and your situation. Do more research than just your doctor.

    Answer by Lynette at 9:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • i personally would try for a vbac but i would talk with the doc first

    Answer by momof4onesApup at 9:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • my kids were both by csection. ds because he was transverse. that was march 07. then 17 months later dd was born in oct 08. they didnt give me a choice because they were so close together. im glad they took her by csection because the cord was rapped around her neck twice.

    Answer by knagsmom at 10:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.