Friend wants me to watch his kids......

A friend of mine decided he wants me to watch his children while he and his wife work, three days a week for about 5-6 hours each day. His children are 3 and 5 years old, he said he'll give me 60$'s a week to watch them. I told him I had to think about it, I have three children of my own, school, part time job, etc. My husband says he should pay me more then 60 dollars a week to watch the kids, I honestly don't know, I work when my DH is home, so we don't have child care.... is it to little? Is it a fair amount?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• 60 dollars a week is nothing!

I watch my nephew for 25 $ a day...usually about 10 hours or so a day.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• That is $10 a day per kid. he would be paying twice that if they were in a daycare. I would ask for $75 a week if you think they can spare it. If you don't think they can then take it on a trial basis and see if it is too much for you.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I paid 100/wk for two children, over 50 hrs a week. I think 60 is fair.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• for 5-6 hours a day I would charge at least 30 per day.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• that is way to low for 2 kids 3 days a week and for almost a full work day
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 9:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• 60$ is not near enough. When my kids were little I watched twin boys 3 days a week and I got 50$ a day. That's going to be a lot of extra work.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Yep that is WAY too little. Daycare for a child that age is like around $700 a month, full time daycare. That's just nuts. I wouldn't watch one child 3x a week for $60. If they are that hard up, they should see if they can get assistance for childcare. That's not even $2 an hour for your time.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• 2 kids at the daycare my son used to go to was 190 per week but that was for full time...60 a week doesn't seem like enough
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 9:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You need to figure out how much that is per hour and how much you want for 3 kids per hour.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Let me point out that it depends on where you live. NYC it isn't comparable to what others pay. Podunk Iowa it might be comparable.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:57 PM on Jul. 25, 2010