How can I move forward leaving my entire family behind?

Except of course my son and his father. We aren't together but I won't keep his son from him. My whole family acts like nothing I do is good enough because I don't follow their advice. I am so depressed because I have no one to turn too. My ex acts like I'm crap too but like I said I can't get rid of him completely. I'm not perfect but I'm a good mom and I'm doing all I can. I just feel like such a failure to my son.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Don't ever let anyone else make you feel inferior. You only feel that way if you allow yourself to feel that way. They can have whatever opinion they want of you, but it's what you think of yourself that's important. That may sound like one big stinking after school special, but it is most definately true. Remember that you're the only person that can allow others to change your opinion of yourself. Your son probably thinks the world of you and that is the greatest feeling a mother can have. You keep doing your best and don't worry about what other people think.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I don't know your situation, or your family's intentions, but if you need separation, you might consider moving so that you don't have to deal with them so often. Really consider whether you want your son to grow up without extended family, it might be the best thing, but it might not be, without knowing your family, or their behavior, it's hard to say. Family is often the most difficult to deal with, and they usually know exactly how to hurt you. I limit my contact with some of my closest family members because I know how much they stress me out, or hurt me, and anyone who would hurt one of my sons....well they might as well forget it.

Only you know exactly what you're dealing with, and how far you are willing to go to be okay. If you need to move....go for it, if you can just limit contact and be alright, that might be a way to go. Good luck, take care of yourself, and your son.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• well im not sure what is all being said but if they see things you dont, they are just putting out their opinions. these are just words, words do hurt though, i understand that. i bet if you did move on and parented the way you wanted to parent and do all your wifely duties without anyone's suggestions or opinions, you would do great.

i had a friend who i really thought couldnt be a parent to her child when she was prego. i told her that she maybe could have somebody to live with her and help her take care of her child. there was another person who also said the same thing as i did...guess what? she proved us wrong. today...her little girl is 4 and she pays her own apartment bills and raises her own child without anyone's help. she is doing great.

you can do this too.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• shit girl, big Hug! brain drains or what. you just have to get some distances and get some time to grow without them....family of origin can get so....underdeveloped themselves! can you get in with some mentor type friends...like if you go to school and trade childcare and study together...talk about skills...single mothers have skills...two parent families might have more hands, but we have heighten skills~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Sometimes the best thing is to get away from your family to move on.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 10:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I had to take my son and get away from my husband because my husband was being very disrespectful to me and my son was seeing this. My family said,don't leave,that's your house too. But i needed peace of mind. if i would have stayed one of us was gonna be seriously hurt, and i didn't want to go to jail and leave my son. So i took my son to a very nice shelter,nice school etc. and my husband made a big change. We came back 2 months later and our family is a whole lot better because of us leaving. Sometimes you have to get away for your sanitys sake and not for the sake of what others think. You know how much you can take, and don't take being mentally or physically abused for anyone. Do what you have to do for you and your child.
    mrs2323

Answer by mrs2323 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2010