dicipline?

ok my four yr old dd has a problem with dicipline nothing i have tried works pops time out firm talking to i dont know what else to do any ideas?

momof4onesApup

Asked by momof4onesApup at 9:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• depends on what he's doing.

if he is throwing toys, take away the toys.
    If he is making messes, make him clean them up.

try to make the discipline fit the misbehavior as much as possible.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i have tried that also and nothing its like nothing phases her
    momof4onesApup

Comment by momof4onesApup (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• What is he doing?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• CONSISTENCY. He has to KNOW what will come if he chooses to do a behavior. And YES whatever method you choose, he will most certainly do it again, b/c he is testing you to see if you are serious.

If you constantly change up your methods, he will be constantly testing you.

Discipline is not a one time deal, it has to be done daily. So you are thinking your discipline should immediately stop the behavior, but this is not so.

It takes time, patience, consistency, and the parents knowledge that they are in control. Eventually he will catch on that you are not joking and he knows that happens when he does something.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Oh sorry, SHE.... :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think consistency is the only thing that works.
    I have to tell my son DAILY if not more often, not to rock in the stool, not to use his shirt for a napkin...
    But I believe those things are what kids do.
    Disobedience is when you look them in the eye and say "do noy touch that again" and they touch it.

Have you put things away out of reach that are not for her to play with?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:08 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• the thing is i have used each method consistantly i know its not going to make a change over night but none work with her i have even taken her to a child psychologist and all they said was she was a normal child hyper but normal so i have decided to wait till she starts school to se how things go but the dicipline has no effect on her
    momof4onesApup

Comment by momof4onesApup (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Some kids are just harder than others. My dd is much harder when it comes to discipline than my son is. But I still stick to my guns. And I think it has helped her, even though she is still harder than my son.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i'm surprised they didn't assign you PCIT. You should make another appointment and ask about PCIT it's a behavior training therapy.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i actually need to go to a different one i did not care for the first she only made one appt and observed my dd for about 20 min in a room playing by herself
    momof4onesApup

Comment by momof4onesApup (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2010