What is wrong?

My daughter is 16 months old and shes sleeps in her own bed. Every night she starts to scream and I go check on her and she is still sleeping while screaming. She doesn't have attachment issues or anything like that. I'm just concerned for my baby girl. Is this normal? Could she be having nightmares?

sopheeahsmommy

Asked by sopheeahsmommy at 10:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is having night terrors. She is fine and probably doesn't remember what it was about the next day. She probably doesn't even know what her dream is about at that moment.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• night terrors. they dont remember it in the morning, says my DR.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:08 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Oh, and it's also a phase. They go thru them periodically up to 4 years. I noticed that DD would do this around a growth spurt.
    Jademom07

• Maybe so, a bad dream.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Nightmeres or Night terrors. There's nothing you can do, they usually out grow them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:18 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• sounds like night terrors to me docs say that it is normal omong younger children and they dot remember them the next morning and that they usually grow out of them
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 10:18 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• it's night terrors, like the nice ladies before me said and just let her be, she'll be just fine and she won't even remember them in the morning! My daughters all did the same thing around that age and they turned out to be fine! Good Luck!
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 10:19 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Thank you. I am going to keep an eye on it and see if anything gets worse. She just seems troubled in the mornings after she has these episodes.
    sopheeahsmommy

Comment by sopheeahsmommy (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Sounds like night terrors to me. My son has them almost every night. He started around 18 months I think and has episodes at least 4 times a week. It is pretty scary. The first time he did it I let it pass thinking he just wanted out of bed but I checked on him when he quieted down about 2 minutes later. The second time he did it he was screaming like he was being attacked. So I ran in and picked him up not thinking and he attacked me! I have a scar on my neck from him clawing me. He was screaming with his eyes open and flailing. And as soon as it is over he is sound asleep again.
    DS's Doctor said that most children have them and they range from small wimpers to full blown "fighting". He also told me that they usually grow out of them by 4yo. I has them as a toddler, I sleep walked as a child and I still do. I think my son is doomed to follow my sleep problems. He also talks in his sleep like I do, lol.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 1:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2010