I am a bad mom...aren't I? I want to cry!

I feel like a bad mom.

Today, I took my daughter (2 yrs old) to Rite Aid. After we finished shopping there, I was going to take a bus to CVS. Well, on the way to the bus stop, I noticed that the cashier overcharged me, so we had to go back to the store to take care of it. By the time we stepped back outside, the bus was already passing the bus stop. I tried to tell my daughter that we missed the bus, and she looked at me with a puzzled and disappointed look on her face. She was carrying her little purse, and look so cute (and pitiful). I felt so bad that I took her to get a donut and cider.

I feel like crying my eyes out. I feel like a bad mom. I never want her to be unhappy. I overcompensate sometimes (buying her a balloon when she wanted to run after a dog she saw on the street, or buying her stickers when her dad goes home after a visit).

How do I deal with my feelings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• You missed the bus. So, you got her a snack while you waited for the next one. Doesn't sound too indulgent to me. Not everything is a black and white, right or wrong decision. Life happens. Even if you've tried to pacify her in the past , you can always change. Parenting is a day by day set of choices. Sometimes we get it right and sometimes we don't. We learn from our mistakes just like we try to teach our kids to do. Relax. Take a deep breath. Tomorrow is a new day.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:09 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• That's a bit over the top. You felt like a bad mom for missing a bus she didn't even care about? You need to chill
    Anonymous

• You really need to know that you are a good mom...but you are setting yourself up for troubles later on by overcompensating her when she gets upset. You are teaching her that anytime she can't do or get what she wants, you will get her something else. That can be really bad as she gets older.

Not getting your way is part of life and she needs to learn how to correctly deal with that. She needs YOU to show her how to deal with it since you are her mom and she trusts you to guide her.
    Others in her life will not be as easy on her so teach her now how to deal. She will thank you for it later.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• lol, I have an almost 18 and almost 16 and it does get easier. You taught your dd an important lesson today about checking the receipt and going back when you are overcharged. She might not get it yet, but she will cause thats the kind of mom you are. That donut and cider was payed for from the money you where overcharged. You are a great mom, and you will continue to do great things for dd. Dont they look so dang cute with their little purses and such...:)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:14 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Not sure what happened that you feel like you did anything wrong??? It's just life- it never goes how you want it
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• maybe get some counceling. you cant always just but her happiness, it will cause serious problems.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You love your daughter so very much...but its not good for her because she has to learn how to deal with disappointments in life.You aren't going to be there all the time.Its ok to do those kinds of things sometimes but not all the time. Your not a bad mom...just a normal one. (:
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Why do you feel like a bad mom? I'm confused...
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 10:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• LOL...I really think you are just fine...not a "bad Mom". There seems to be a huge number of Moms saying "AM I a bad Mom" Or "I am a bad Mom".....just chill. Be your own best friends. It won't ruin your kid of they don't get everything they want. Really.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I am really confused as to why you feel bad....b/c she didnt get to ride the bus...or b/c she didnt get to go to CVS

If you feel bad about this, then life is going to get rough on you and her in the future.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2010