Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

baby with dislocated hip

My son just went in for his 12 mth check up and i mentioned to the doctor that when he walks (only a couple steps or with help) his right leg and foot point out to the right. So she checked his legs and said his leg is slightly dislocated. She said to come back in a month and check it again to see if its better or not. My question is why didnt they find this out when he was a baby and is it something hes gonna really grow out of or is he gonna need a brace or something to help it?

Answer Question

Asked by mommyofone15 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 11 (576 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Since they only have about 10 minutes with each child, this is where they rely heavily on the parents to bring up any issues. since he may not act like it bothers him, they may not catch in during a routine checkup. I would say that he would grow out of it, but if you are concerned, you could always ask to see a child specialist

    Answer by Jademom07 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • I would find a chiropractor that works w/ kids. My oldest son walks funny when it's been too long between adjustments. Wouldn't hurt to check it out. Child adjustments are much more gentle than adult, my kids love going in

    Answer by Lynette at 10:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • I agree with Lynette. Definitely find a chiropractor. Im a huge believer and supporter in chiropractors so I will try not to get too commercially on ya lol, but they can help sooooooo much. I take my daughter there (she just turned two and its amazing the things that a chiropractor can help with.
    Im not sure why your doctor wouldnt have caught that. I know my pediatrician always checked my daughters legs to make sure they were in line and all that fun stuff. so to me that should have been part of the routine. If it makes you feel uncomfortable you can always see a new pediatrician, but I still 100% recommend the chiropractor to help fix the problem!

    Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.