My daughter's friend's face had a bruise on it - they are 3.

It was my daughter's birthday party. Her friend, lets say Barbie, came to it on a Saturday. Barbie's Mom pointed said Barbie collided with another child at daycare and had to fill out an accident report. She asked if I ever had to do that. And, of course, I said yes, who hasn't(?). I didn't notice anything on her face. After the party and lunch (3-4 hours), I noticed that Barbie's cheek/eye was blackened/bruised a little. I didn't say anything & I probably won't because this is the first time I met them. My daughter used to go to daycare with Barbie. I don't want to jump to conclusions.
What do you think?

SuzyQMI

Asked by SuzyQMI at 10:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I forgot to add, my sister's black eyes did not show up until the next morning..before that she just had a slightly reddened area on her nose and forehead.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 10:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I really wouldnt think anything about it b/c kids DO get hurt, especially if they are playing at daycare. They are bound to have an accident.

If you keep seeing this pattern and are still feeling weird about it, then consider what you could do.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't freak out about it if I were you...kids always bump into things. My kids have had bruises on their face, head, arms, legs...etc...Unless you see something else I would let it go...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 10:28 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Kids get bruises all the time, and she had a pretty reasonable excuse for it. My son's got a big old red bruise on his head right now from when he fell when he was climbing where he should not have been. That's kids. If it really is bugging you and you feel like something isn't right, then schedule more play dates with the child so that you can keep a closer eye on her. If it seems like she very often has bruises on her face and it still bugs you then consider further action. One bump on the head with a plausible explanation isn't enough to start assuming or accusing.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Maybe that's why the mom told you what happen so you wouldn't jump to conclusions.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I guarantee that if you ask the little girl, she will tell you the truth. And just FYI, my kids have come home from daycare with some pretty nasty wounds. =(
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 10:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• That happens with kids that young. My one year old gave himself two black eyes. My 3 yr old always has bruises, on her legs and arms. She even had stitches at one, My five yr old fell and hit her head on a rock got a concussion. Kids will be kids, they play hard, and get hurt to. It doesn't mean any thing.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Hi!
    Not sure if I read this right.....are you worried about possiblity of the mom hurting Barbie, or the daycare? I am a mandated reporter for the state I teach in because I am a teacher. The same is true for daycare providers, so hopefully they have noticed these bruises. It is a hard position to be in.....Anyone else you know have concerns?
    Tinkdust

Answer by Tinkdust at 10:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Kids who are abused won't tell the truth, despite what the PP said. Kids who are abused are trained to protect their parents and lie for them. (most of them, anyways).

but to answer you OP, i wouldn't think anything of it. My poor DS had a fat goose egg on his head for like 2 months from 2 different incidents. Kids get hurt.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• really- she's a kid with a bruise until you see a pattern you should probably just leave it alone
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010