Making baby food?

So I am thinking of making my own baby food for this LO. I have been reading up on what I need and all that. I am thinking for the most part making a month so worth at time and freezing it. What do I really need? Steamer, blender, food mill? what brand? ones made for making baby food or just reg. ones? Any ideas will be most helpful. I am not a good cook so this is a bid deal for me to try to do. I just do not want to go out a buy tons of stuff and then decide that I did not need all of it or a different brand. Thank you.

NOLANandKT

Asked by NOLANandKT at 10:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You just need a steam basket, a food processor (or blender), and some containers! It's really easier than it sounds. You don't add anything to the food. You just steam it, puree it, and freeze it. Nice and simple :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I just boiled the stuff and used my blender then froze it in ice cube trays and when frozen,popped them out and put them in freezer bags.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I did this with my youngest two kids...you would be shocked at how easy it is. All you need is a food processor, (about $20-$50), and food. Regular food. Buy fresh, frozen, or canned vegetables and fruit. As the baby gets older you can add unseasoned cooked meat like chicken or turkey. I made the food daily, and is was just as easy as making meals for my other kids. Just stick whatever you cooked, (unseasoned), into a food processor. I actually have a really cool hand held one that is super easy to clean and purees food in a cup. You will save alot of money, but don't overcomplicateit. Think about what people feed their babies who aren't able to buy baby food at the store.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 10:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I found the Magic Bullet from TV made AWESOME baby food. I just roasted it in the oven (apples, sweet potatoes, etc), then pureed and froze in ice cube trays, then popped those into ziploc bags. www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a great resource!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You don't need to fuss that much unless you want too. All you need is a fork to mash and a knife to cut. if you wait untill at least 6 months or longer you never need to puree. I didn't.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Some people really seem to make this far more complicated than it needs to be. The only new stuff I bought for this was the little zip lock containers. I will say I didn't like the results from the food processor I had, I always just used the blender.

Sweet potatoes cook up very quickly in the microwave, I'd blend it up peal and all with a little bit of whatever kind of juice I had open.

I never did make up so much at any one time that I ever even tried to freeze it.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:28 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• you don't need anything fancy, cook, puree (in blender, food processor, food mill, magic bullet, whatever you have), freeze the food in ice cube trays... once its frozen put cubes in a gallon size freezer bag to store (Label the bag so you know what's in it). I always do about a week or two worth of food at once to save time later.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:28 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• thank you everyone.
    NOLANandKT

Comment by NOLANandKT (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• made my first babyfood tonight. peas. they are in icecube trays freezing right now. my little one is BF. I realized tonight that i can use the free formal with making her baby food. thank you everyone for letting meknow it is not as hard as i thought it may have been.
    NOLANandKT

Comment by NOLANandKT (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2010