if you bounce a check, does the person that recieved the check get the money still?

if you bounce a check do they still recieve the money and you just go NEG in your bank or how does that work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Money & Work

• It really depends upon your bank. Most of the time if a check is "bounced" it means that they returned the check, at which point the person that received the check will not receive their money, but can come after you to collect upon it... the bank will probably charge you a fee as well. If the bank goes ahead and allows the check to clear and you wind up negative, you only have to worry about the bank fees.....
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• It depends. Do you have overdraft protection?
    If yes, then the bank will honor your check, your account will go into the negative, and your bank will charge you a fee.
    If no, then the person will not get paid, if you wrote the check to a business - they will charge you a large fee ($20-$40 dollars) and your bank will charge you a fee too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• My bank will honor the check and just chcarge me... My mom's bank will not honor the check and charge both parties...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Normally, NO. The check is returned to you, they are notified. Most banks will not cover a bad check. If they did they would go out of business. That would give people the freedom to write a check anytime they wanted without the money being in the bank.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• It depends on your bank and if you've bounced a check before. Now most banks will pay the other person and charge you a fee. I worked for a bakery once and my PAYCHECK bounced. I made them reimburse me for a bunch of fees at my own bank cause I had bills withdrawl from my account and then the paycheck bounced.
    roxy85

Answer by roxy85 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2008