• In the Spotlight:

Would you be concerned? Moms, please read

My son is 10 months old and teething. I've read conflicting things on whether or not teething can cause these symptoms. I just took his temperature (under his armpit) and it was 99.2. He had also just been crawling around and everything, and he's acting totally normal, if not in a better mood than usual, lol. He's eating fine, but he's had FIVE dirty diapers today, and he usually has one or two. They were runny, but with some liquid and some solid. Am I worried for nothing? Should I call his doctor?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, definitely sounds like teething. The excess drool from the teething is what causes the increased, runny, diapers. The temperature is low, normal for teething as well. Since he is acting fine, I wouldn't worry unless his symptoms seems to increase or change.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• No, if it continues for longer then 3 days call the doc, but it sounds pretty normal for teething. Thats the same things my girls did. Good luck hun~
    Mrs.Koukas2006

Answer by Mrs.Koukas2006 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I probably wouldn't be too worried. I'm sure the doctor will tell you to just watch him. I would wait and call them tomorrow and ask if they think he needs to be seen.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• 5 dirty diapers is an average day in my house...even when he was 10 months old...I wouldn't worry when there is something wrong you baby WILL LET YOU KNOW lol....if you have any concerns call the dr but this all sounds fine you don't really need to worry until the temp gets over 100
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 10:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• It is VERY commen for the child to both the runs and a fever during teething - so don't worry!
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 10:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Those are definately symptoms of tething. A low-grade fever and slight diarhea is completely normal. He might also get a rash in the next few days after his fever is gone...again perfectly normal. Make sure he is well hydrated and his temp doesn't go too high...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 10:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• All 3 of my kids had fevers when teething. My youngest also had more dirty diapers, I blamed it on the stuffy nose she also got every time she teethed. When it comes to your baby there is nothing wrong with calling the doctor to ask, they expect it from parents :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• 99.2 is too low to be considered a fever. Certain foods can cause loose BMs, such as yogurt, juice and prunes. If it keeps up for more than a few days or gets worse it may be cause for concern, but for now you can relax - or try, anyway =)
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 10:39 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think that's normal but if it gets completely thinned out or continues longer than a few more days call your doctor, esp. if your little one starts acting off. best of luck!
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Teething can cause a temp, and the runny stools is from swallowing all the excess drool caused by teething. Same thing happened with my daughter, wasted $10 on the co-pay to be told it's nothing, lol.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 10:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2010