Can a mouth wash "burn" the toung and gums?

We have always used the same mouthwash, but ran out and for some reason we keept forgetting to get a new....a month or so passed, and I finally remembered and got the same as always.

Now my toung has canker sores and my gums are raw...could it be the mouthwash? Do I just have to get use to it again?

Nynne

Asked by Nynne at 10:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Health

• Have you changed your diet lately? or eaten more salt or acids than usual? I don't think if it is the same as before it would cause the problem but is there a way to check the labels? hope this helps.
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• If you have been using that exact same type then I would think not.

But I have been "allergic" to a certain type of toothpaste before. I dont know if I was really allergic to it or not, but I know it would make my gums peel and become very sensitive and I had to stop using it, when I swapped I went back to normal.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I have heard of this happening to people before, I do think it is possible!
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 10:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I actually read somewhere that there are some mouth washes and toothpastes that have a certain ingredient in it that can cause sores in your mouth. I wish I could remember what it was. Whatever you were using before, go back to that. Chances are they should start going away.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:45 AM on Jul. 26, 2010