Tan lines on toddlers?

My DD is a complete outdoor kid, and my DS is too for that matter. We are Scotch/Irish so needless to say we are about as white as can be, when it comes to our pigment. I always use sun screen on them but they havethe darkest tanlines. Someone told me that isn't good, but short of keeping them indoors I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any good ideas?

candle5

Asked by candle5 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• whatever. everyone gets tan lines if they spend any time outdoors. don't worry about what that person said.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My son and dd have very prominent tan lines and I keep them coated with sunscreen. Like you said, what else can you do, maybe a t-shirt...my dd would have a fit If i wanted her to wear a shirt in the pool ....lol.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• OMG my son has those too and I use SPF 50...it's kinda adorable really because he has a white butt...lol but his dr said to make sure to reapply it because a lot of mom's forget to do it and I told him I did and he said it was fine as long as he doesnt have a burn.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 10:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• it is fine.

It is not like they are laying out on a blanket worshiping the sun. You put suncreen on to protect them from being burned, but tanning is your bodies natural defense against the sun. IT IS FINE!!! Tell that other person to shut up and mind their own business
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• my kids are 2.5 and 5 and they have darker skin than I do lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Tans are fine, burns are bad. They need to get SOME sun! As long as you are putting on the sun block and reapplying when they get wet I wouldn't worry about it.

I've actually heard a few studies that show concerns that children are not getting enough vitamin D because of all the sun block we're using.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Tan lines are not the same as sun burns!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• yeah my children have tan lines and I keep sunscreen on them Im not going to keep them in the house all the time
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My kids are really tan this year too. I worry about it so we've been trying to hang out in shaded parks/areas. Also the sun is the strongest around 10am-11am so we usually stay in during that time but I'm a really paranoid person so take my advice for what it's worth.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 10:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• perhaps you can start letting them outside with nothing but sunscreen on...the tanlines would be gone before you know it!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• my daughter has mexican in her so she tans really easily with her darker skin she oculd be outside for like 10 min and still have a tan line.

ignore whoever told you that.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2010