Does it make me a bad mom for..........

thinking about not getting my daughter much for her 1st birthday? I was thinking a new pair of those soft sole shoes (the only ones she likes), a big ball, and her own little cake. It really isn't much but she has EVERYTHING. She has an older sister so she has clothes until she is 4. She has movies (that she doesn't even pay attention to after the first 5 minutes). And she has toys, toys, and more toys. Really, does she need more? I did the typical mom thing and went all out for my first daughters 1st bday. She remembers nothing and didn't care about anything she got. I figure I will do more when she's older. Am I terrible?

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 10:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• More doesn't necessarily mean better..she's only 1 and it sounds to me like you're a great mother for providing as much as you have. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself...there's time to spoil her yet:)
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 11:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• No your not terrible... at one year old...she doesn't even know its her birthday.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 11:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Nope, we chose not to get our dd anything over the top for her 1st too. We got her one thing & called it good. She already has more toys than she needs!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Nah....save the money
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 11:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• No! My kids get one small gift and a cupcake with a candle for their birthdays (years 1-3) they don't know any better and it's a good way to make them feel special without turning birthdays in to a spoil-fest... From years 4 on they get a cake and 1 gift per year (4 years = 4 gifts) Once they are in school, IF they want a party then they get just ONE gift from mom & dad and a party w/ their friends...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• a 1yr old doesn't really care. I know when my niece had her first bday she didn't even care about all the presents. she just wanted to play. so no it does NOT make you a bad parent.
    my dh and I aren't planning on getting our dd much, b/c she gets things alot throughout the yr and doesn't really need much
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• of course not. And she's not even going to know that it's a special day nor will she remember it. IMHO giant 1st birthdays are just for the parents and guests.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• We didn't get much for our son either. He got TONS of stuff from family and I ended up hording it away to dole out on "rainy days." I think it's fine to go easy on the first birthday. Just IMAGINE all the stuff you'll have to get her when she turns 16!! Take it easy while you can! LOL!

I did make my son a really sweet first year DVD slide show. I think he'll love looking back on it when he gets older... actually he already loves it! He asks to watch it all the time (he'll be 2 next week).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Why do u think you are terrible. U do more than some mother that can and won't.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• lol, its all about the cake, their minature, just their size cake. Put baby in a high chair outside, put the little cake on the table for baby and its a one year olds dream come true...hose the high chair down afterwards,,,oh yeah,,give baby a bath, not the hose..:)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2010