Reborn Babies?

Has anyone heard of Reborn Babies? The dolls that are made to look like real babies. They even make some that are warm to the touch and others that breath and make breathing sounds. I saw it online earlier today and thought they looked interesting, some are very cute. I did notice that some people that post about them treat them like real babies. I thought this was sort of weird. There is not really any question I was just wondering if anyone else knew about these. Thanks ladies. :-)

TeaAndrews

Asked by TeaAndrews at 5:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Just for Fun

• The dolls are very lifelike and lovely, but....many creators and collectors are quite disturbing! There are issues of obsession and delusions there. The Reborn Baby Phenomena is being studied, and results are not surprising. Many collectors suffer from PTSD from miscarriages, stillbirth, infertility, etc. Rather than dealing with their emotional issues, they turn to a life of fantasy with these dolls, living out the lives they would have lived had they had the babies they wanted.

It is indeed very disturbing, and sad. If you are interested, there is a new show on BBC (British Broadcasting) on tv about these dolls, their creators, and collectors.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 5:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Thank you. I will have to check it out some time. I was a little blown away when people were putting them in car seats, having birthday parties, and cuddling on the couch with their husbands. They certainly are lovely, but that seems to be a bit much.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 5:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• yeah i seen on t.v. this one women that would cook the parts of the doll. like the arms and legs. it was weird. but they looked like real babies and she would always take one out with her in an actual carseat. they cost alot of money too.
    ebabyskye

Answer by ebabyskye at 5:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• ebaby, they have to be baked each time another layer of paint is added... so that's probably what you saw.

I think they're really neat and life-like looking, BUT I think the adults who treat them as real children are kind of...messed up.
    ChapelleCDH

Answer by ChapelleCDH at 9:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• This was just written about in magazines and newspapers across the US
    Anonymous

• Funny you brought this up -- I was at Tuesday morning and there was a woman, clearly past her 50s, with one of these dolls snuggling her chest. She had it "holding" on to her shirt. My son was confused and disturbed. I explained to him it was a doll, but I felt bad for her. It definitely didn't look like a healthy expression of interest in this doll.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 10:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Weird, I just watched a show on that on the BBC channel. Then looked it up on youtube. some of them look freakishly real and even looked more real when I watched this woman pick the baby up from the bed. Whatever floats your boat. Some woman get them for treating like a real baby but some get them to collect. Interesting huh..........
    angelsnbabys

Answer by angelsnbabys at 1:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2008