For those who use midwives, do you also see an OB?

I'm using a midwife at a free-standing birthing center for my next child. I was just wondering if I should also see an OB? I liked my OB for my prenatal care, but not for the childbirth itself (too many scare-tactics). The birthing center has a hospital they transfer to if need be and I guess they have referring physicians, but I'd like to have someone who's been there the whole way if an emergency does come up, which I know is highly unlikely.

GothyMama

Asked by GothyMama at 5:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I'm going to be using a midwife at Labor of Love. Is that where you are going too?? I have seen an OB twice to get ultra sounds to see how far along I am, but I do not plan on going back to the OB. I am going to see the midwife for all my appointments. At Labor of Love, they do one ultrasound at 21 weeks to find out the sex of the baby (among other things). If you do decide to see an OB, I'd check with my insurance and make sure they would cover both the mid wife and the OB. You also need to make sure your OB has priveleges at the hospital you will be transfered to from the birthing center in case of an emergency... Good Luck!!
    TreseLapish

Answer by TreseLapish at 6:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I can only tell you how things work over here in germany.

I went to my daily check-ups to the OB but for all the other things, like pregnancy gymnastic, birth informations, nursing, child care ect. i went to my midwife. my midwife gets paid thru my health insurance - which is normal here in Germany. I always recommend an OB even though youre going to a midwife.

Midwives usually dont do the medical check-ups, e.g. ultrasound.

My midwife is a lovely woman. She is there for "her" mommys whenever they need her - before, during and after giving birth. Having her at my side when I was giving birth made me feel more secure because I trusted her more then those nurses at the hospital. HAHA

YAY to all the midwives :D
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Thanks M. My insurance will cover a birthing center birth or homebirth midwife as an out-of-network provider, meaning they'll cover 60% instead of 80%. But that's ok because midwives tend to cost A FRACTION of what you pay for a hospital, so it still will probably wind up being less out of pocket for us.
    GothyMama

Answer by GothyMama at 5:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• at one of the birthing centers i was looking in too they had an ob who you would see once and he would just keep an eye on the charts. everything else was up to the midwife
    Anonymous