Step Parenting

I have a problem and I wonder if anyone else has a solution. I have been married to a wonderful Man for 6 years now. We have a blended family 6 Kids. The two oldest (His girls) are away at College. I have 3 Boys at home, and we have adopted one child (Our Daughter). My problem is that almost every time the" BOYS" have done something wrong, I have to correct them. My Husband will not disipline, or get involved in correcting them. I have asked him what the problem was, he don't give me an answer. Please don't say, "Mabey because they are not his he is not comfortable doing it" Because our 13 Daughter is adopted and he has no problem getting on her when she messes up. Any Ideas how I can get him to take a little charge where the boys are concerned, and give me a break as the Bad Guy? I'm always the bad Guy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• your 13 yr girl is adopted she has no other parents so it makes sense fro your husband to get on her. your sons have a father that is not him and based on how much their real father is in their life might deter him from taking action because he does not wan to cause problems with their dad and him or their dad and you.
    rismommabear

Answer by rismommabear at 5:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Some stepparents, just don't discipline their stepchildren. I have to discipline my SS because I am his primary caretaker and he would trample me if i didn't. Adopted children are way different than stepchildren, he is your daughter's father, if even only legally. Your son's are yours and their fathers and not his. Talk to your hubby about it and see if you and him can't resolve it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Sometimes it doesn't make since for stepdad to discipline stepchildren. You should be their primary disciplinarian, and he should back you up. Good luck!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 10:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I WOULD CONTIUE TO TALK TO HIM. I DISAGREE WITH THE WOMAN ABOVE STATING THAT YOU SHOUDL BE THE PRIMARY DIS. WHEN HE MARRRIED YOU HE TOOK ON THE RESPONSIBILITY OF BEING A FATHER. EVEN IF HE IS A STEPDAD, HE IS A DAD NONE THE LESS. I WOULD JUST TELL HIM EXACTLY WHAT YOU WROTE ON HERE. EXPLAIN TO HIM THAT YOU FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE TO BE THE BAD GUY. GOOD LUCK TO YOU HONEY. I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY HUBBY AND IT IS "OUR" DAUGHTER. I EXPLAINED TO HIM THAT SOMETIMES A DEEP MANYL VOICE WORKS BETTER AND THAT I NEED HIS HELP. HEARING THAT I NEEDED HIS HELP ~ WORKED A LITTLE. HE DOES A LITTLE MORE NOW.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 2:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Thank you so much for your advice, Ladies. I understand how the whole Step Parent thing can be at times, but I feel like he took all this on, he should be there every step of the way. Thanks again :)
    Anonymous