My baby is 10 days old. I've been using washcloths to wipe his bottom and he still has a BAD diaper rash. I was putting vaseline on it to protect it but it didnt seem to help. any ideas of what works??

jenn714

Asked by jenn714 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cornstarch powder it works
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Cornstarch for sure, or A and D ointment always worked wonders for me.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:22 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Do you wait until his bottom is dry before you apply?
    also Desitan or Buttpaste works better then vaseline...also could be the brand of diaper...my son could only use certain types of diapers
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• If it is really bad, try leaving his diaper off for a little bit. Desitin and baby powder works really well.
    nebraskamamaof2

Answer by nebraskamamaof2 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Butt Paste worked best for my son.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• He might be allergic to the chemicals in the diaper. You might consider trying cloth.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:30 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It's good that you don't use wipes. Use plain water. Vaseline is bad for diaper rash because what diaper rash needs is AIR. Especially diaper rash induced by disposable diapers from the chemicals. The best thing for it is air. LOTS of air. Do not put a diaper on, don't put cream on it, don't put on powders. Leave it alone. Let your baby lay naked. IF you do put on a diaper make sure your baby's bottom is dry and change him right away after each poop and pee.

I would also urge you to switch to cloth or to practice part time elimination communication. Cloth diapering reduces diaper rash (especially the kind caused by the chemicals in disposables) and elimination communication eliminates it completely. Path to A diaper Free (and rash free) baby
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:51 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Leave his diaper off as much as possible for the next 2 or 3 days. Good job with the homemade wipes, just water. Use food grade corn starch, even the Johnson & Johnson corn starch powder has crap in it. I personally don't use ointment, but I don't put anything with chemicals on my kids & have never felt the need to. I think it causes more harm. If there are definite edges to the rash & they are raised, it may be a yeast rash, check into that if it persists. Cloth diapers are great & not as high maintenance as you would think. But if you go that route, go ahead & order a soap recommended for cloth diapers too, or you'll have a whole new set of diaper rash problems. 

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 1:29 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Make sure the diaper area is completely dry before putting any ointment on it. The longer the skin is exposed to air the better. A&D is pretty good at protection and its pretty mild. The original desitin works great too.
    You may want to look into the reason behind the rash. If you're bottle feeding, it could the dairy, my son used to get horrible diaper rash every time he had any dairy when he was a baby. If you're breastfeeding, it could be something you're eating. Sugar makes for acidic urine. That's just an example though. I hope you figure something out quickly. I know bad diaper rashes are misery for everyone!
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 6:33 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I just had this problem when my son was 1 month old. My ped gave me a miracle recipe that worked amazing, it cleared up in 24 hours. First, stop using wipes, just use wet paper towel. Mix equal parts of: A+D ointment, desitin, and cornstarch. I mixed 1 tube of each and about 1/4 cornstarch in an empty cottage cheese container. It worked so well that I keep the container in his room and use it at the first sight of diaper rash. They say leaving the diaper off to get air to the area helps but I had a hard time with poop and pee all over, I just used this cream and it worked.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 26, 2010