oh no! my 2 year old boy likes to play with his penis!

Isn't this a little too early?? FYI I only grew up with a sister...so I don't really know anything about little boys!

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 5:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you're one of those people that have that "boys will be boys" mentalities, then it's fine. if you're not one of those people i would suggest trying to get him to stop by telling him it's yucky to play with it. they say babies like to grab down there while you're changing their diaper. that's only if you let it. i just kept taking my sons hand away from it and he finally got the picture and i never had a problem with it.
    Anonymous

• well for me my son is almost 3 years old and he too likes to play with it i just tel him dont play with that its not a toy and its not to play with its to go potty and only time it is ok is when he is going potty its fine he is just discovering he is a boy they all do it some point
    Mommyandreaof2

Answer by Mommyandreaof2 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• my son is also 2 and he plays with his mostly when he is going to sleep. i try to tell him yucky and that he isn't suppose to play with it. but he does not listen. he just keeps playing with it. if you come up with a way to get yours to stop please let me know.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 6:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• He's pee pee potty trained (STILL working on the poo!), and he just really likes to be naked. I was trying cuddle him and he was just playing with it! He makes sound effects along with it too, pshuuuu pshuuuuu like a gun. NOOOOOOO!

BTW no one told me newborn babies get stiffies either! What a surprise!! omg! Haha, sorry.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I will take the boys will boys attitude. Some kids just do it. If you tell them its bad they start to feel bad about themselves, and develop weird sexual behaviors later on. They need to know its not appropriate to do in the living room watching tv, but bathe time I hear is normal for them to touch themselves. They are too young for masterbating and its not their intent right now.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 6:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• If you use the word "yucky" then that gives a negative image of his body. A penis is not yucky. Yes, it's inappropriate to play with it in public. I would encourage you to tell him that he can not play with his penis (or whatever you both call it) in front of others that it is not acceptable. Then leave it at that.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I do not have the boys will be boys mentality, but this is perfectly natural. By telling them not to do it can led to unhealthy about their bodies and sex. The issue that needs to be addressed however is that it is something that is not done for the world to see. I sent mine to their rooms and encouraged them to wash their hands. Here is a link to an article which may be helpful.

http://www.pedsforparents.com/articles/2587.shtml

JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 7:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I married an Al Bundy, so I gave up on trying to make my ds stop.
    Anonymous

• No, it's very normal. You will have to make sure that he knows that he doesn't play with it in public. You may have even noticed he has gotten an erection when you change his diaper. This too is normal. It can definitely be an embarrassment, but it is not unusual.
    lovinmyair

Answer by lovinmyair at 9:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Do you remember when he spent hours playing with his fingers and toes? This is the same thing. He's discovered this neat, new thing he never really noticed before and he's exploring.

It's normal. The best thing you can do is to calmly try to teach him that if it's normally covered by a diaper or undies, he should play with it in private and wash his hands afterwards. Don't freak, don't scold, be calm.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2008