Diaper Genies

I'm finishing up my registry, I heard years ago Diaper Genies were a waste of money. Is this still the case? Keep in mind I have 2 dogs who will seek out and destroy diapers if I don't get a pail of some sort.

klynn80

Asked by klynn80 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had a Diaper Genie (the style before the newest one that has been released) and we loved it. I've heard people complaining about smells and we never had that problem. I, personally, do not think they are a waste of money!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:44 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'd go with cloth diapers and a good ordinary rubbermaid bin with tight fitting lid.
    If you go disposable, a good ordinary trash bin with tight fitting lid is still the better investment.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:44 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• They suck!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• And it doesn't matter what house I've been too. Diaper genies smell. Sometimes it's perfumed poop, but its still odiferous. Disposables just have a really strong chemical smell mixed with waste. Most people who use them don't notice because they get used to it much like a smoker gets used to the smell of the cigarettes on their clothes.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:46 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It's totally a waste. I had one with my first ( who is 10) and it was more work to change the dang diaper genie bag (if we had the special bags to begin with -- 1 more stupid thing to buy) than it would have been to walk each individual diaper out to the trash can, outside! We skipped it with our second (who is now 5).
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:47 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think u would be better off getting a good trash can like one of those stainless steal ones w/ lid. seal you dirty diapers in used shopping bags(like from Walmart) or sandwich sized ziplock baggies. Another option is to keep a garbage under your kitchen sink(still put them in bags).

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:47 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Diaper genies are great!....if you can keep up with the costs of the refills and the many many times it needs emptying. The refills are like $6-8 a pop and you can go through like 2-3 a week sometimes.

I found it cheaper just to use a trash can (one with a good lid in your case) and store bags.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:48 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I like my diaper genie 2. the only thing is if you're going to use formula or breast feed. That makes ALL the difference. I only use the genie while my babies are nursing and pooping constantly through the night. Once they start eating solid foods, then the poop becomes more potent, and thats when i start only using the genie for wet diapers. Poopy diapers will always go straight outside, i dont care what anyone says you cant hide the smell of poopy diapers. also if you use formula then the poop is also a potent smell so the genie wont hide that smell either.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• and dont' forget, solid poop goes in the toilet first, NOT the trash!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:07 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i love mine
    christina10140

Answer by christina10140 at 1:47 AM on Jul. 26, 2010