2nd part to how to approach the teacher/principal?

So sorry; Its my son's father, that does these things with my child's school.
I ask bc of course, I am sick of the childish games and stupidity. I really don't like to involve my son's teacher's bc my child has to see these people on a daily, all day basis. I don't want problems of any possible type to come between all of us. I have always, kept up with my son's education; volunteer in events, field trips and bring gifts, food on holiday parties. As soon as asked to provide anything, I do so. I keep in touch periodically with the teacher's to ensure my son does his work, behavior. He has ADHD & PDD.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Honestly, I read your last question and then this one and I think the answers you got to the first part were pretty good - just nicely tell the school like the other lady said - that you're glad that he's an active father, but that you share custody and parenting, so that both of you need to be notified about parent teacher conferences, etc. Give them a copy of the court papers to have in the office. If your son is not allowed to leave with his father, you have physical custody and he's not on the pick up list, etc, then let the teacher know that, too, and that a copy of the court / custody papers are on file with the school.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:10 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• cont

You don't have to go into details about your relationship or your problems. They're pretty used to this sort of thing, and as far as anything he might be saying about you, again, they're going to take it with a grain of salt, because they're used to parents who don't like each other and say things, talk bad about each other, etc.

Just take the high road and don't get into it with them - he says you're a bad mom - well, you're there, showing otherwise, and they see it. He says you don't care - well, you're staying in contact with them about your child's progress, attending conferences, etc - so they see it's not true. His comments won't undermine YOU - they're just going to make HIM look bad and petty, and make them (the school) uncomfortable, because they really don't want to be in the middle of why your relationship ended.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:13 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Don't get into it... don't say anything negative... make sure the school has a copy of the custody papers, let them know that he is a passionate and involved parent and leave it at that. You cultivate YOUR relationship with the teacher/school etc. and say NOTHING about dad (esp. anything negative)
    Make sure that you are infomed about anything that you need to know about... if nec. let dad know in a obj. matter of fact way about what is going on (upcoming event, meeting, hw due etc) and let it be...
    don't obssess over what he does YOU have NO CONTROL over his ACTIONS .... YOU ARE ONLY RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS... so take responsiblity for your part and let the rest go... KWIM
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2010