Get out much?

Is it just me or do other parent's/mom's with special/medical needs kids have a hard time "getting out" and socializing and having friends?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• OMGosh..I so hear you on this one..YES!! My daughter has a very fussy temperament probably due to sensory overload with the new surroundings..she has global developmental delays, and my son has ADHD/Aspergers..and without the help and support from his Daytrana patch...outings would be a complete nightmare. They used to for sure. It is very difficult and challenging since my daughter is almost 2 now, non verbal, can't walk and just learned to sit up on her own so she's very limited in what she can do...she is army crawling now which kinda helps, but she hates it when you go to pick her up or redirect her..
    I'm right there with you on this one. It's conflicting too because I know she needs that experience..but it seems like we're never very long in any given place and she starts fussing again. Makes you feel like you gotta be a hermit:(
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:03 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have the same problem. It's very hard to get childcare for a special needs child. This is my social contact.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:50 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Ditto. . . it is hard to find even family who can do what needs done. . . My DD is not noticeably "special needs" but has otherwise medical needs that make it very hard to do anything outside the home. . . if that makes sense. . . Most the time this is the socialization I get.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 1:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• *just some info. My DD was born with two birth malformations and can't be around any chemicals (they put in the hospital with in a two week time frame) and we have to monitor her diet very closely cause she chokes a lot and can't eat very well. . . she is 7 and eats like an infant and toddler mostly. . . *
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:06 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'm so sorry Kirs...just read your story. My daughter has swallowing and aspiration issues and still has to eat pureed food. It is tough...I hope us mothers of special needs kids can be a help and support to one another:) Selfish as it sounds...it's nice knowing we're not all alone in our struggles and difficulties in raising our children.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:11 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I don't even have that prob. I still have a hard time getting out.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:51 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Oh yes we need to support one another. . . :)
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:13 AM on Jul. 26, 2010