Question to Christians

Many of you claim that this is a Christian nation, and you practice your religion since the constitution says you have the right to. Also known as Freedom of Religion. But what do you think the rest population who are not Christians but of different beliefs and non-believers are supposed to do with themselves, assume your religion without a peep????? Don't we also have the right to live in the country where there will be freedom FROM RELIGION??????
It sounds like somebody's freedom becomes somebody else's oppression.

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 1:56 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Freedom of religion is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or community, in public or private, to manifest religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship, and observance; the concept is generally recognized also to include the freedom to change religion or not to follow any religion. Freedom of religion is considered by many people and nations to be a fundamental human right. Thomas Jefferson said (1807) "among the inestimable of our blessings, also, is that ...of liberty to worship our Creator in the way we think most agreeable to His will; ..." In a country with a state religion, freedom of religion is generally considered to mean that the government permits religious practices of other sects besides the state religion, and does not persecute believers in other faiths.

I am not Christian but I believe it is supposed (SUPPOSED) to mean that. . . Both freedom of and from religion regardless of faith.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:02 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You can belive and practice what you want....Christians are suppose to help others and spread the word not beat people over the head with their bibles...lol...I'm a Christian thur and thur i will help you and i will tell you all about the gospel but i will never beat you with my bible...Jesus never did that so if you meet somebody doin that then you know that they are not a Christian but a pretender...Thats why it a good thang to read your bible yourself and not take everybodies word when they say I'm a Christian...Read the book of Acts...its a page turner fully of knowledge...To God be the Glory...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:11 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'm a Christian, and I have no problem with people of other faiths practicing their religion. In fact, I have friends of other (non Christian) faiths that do just that (and that includes Atheist, because, contrary to what many believe, if you do not believe in God, that's still a belief...)

However, what I do have a problem with is that if someone expresses a non Christian view or practice, then it's all cool, and it's all about tolerance and how we need to be respectful of other people's faiths and backgrounds (which we do), but if it's a Christian who is expressing their beliefs, or publicly practicing their faith, then it's all about how they're narrow minded and trying to suppress others.

I believe 100% in Freedom of Religion but that's ALL religions - those that are NOT Christian, AND those that ARE.

I will respect their faith, but I would like mine respected, as well.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:13 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Oh, and the constitutional rights that you're talking about means that people have the right to believe whatever they want (and publicly express those beliefs - regardless of who they are or what public office they may or may not hold), and that the government cannot dictate what you have to believe, or what church you have to attend (or are not allowed to attend).

That was a common practice in many European countries at the time that our country was being settled - a monarch disagreed with this faith or another, so next thing you know, that faith was outlawed and the practitioners of it were persecuted.

It doesn't mean that people (again, regardless of who they are) have to suppress their beliefs just because someone else doesn't believe as they do.

Sort of like freedom of speech - we can say what we want, but we can't make people listen...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:17 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I am Christian I love people of all faiths and I love the fact that they have the freedom to practice it, and believe it. I respect their believes and don't believe their soul needs saving. Their soul being good or not does not rely on the choices of belief. It relies on their heart, actions, and kind of person they are. Not if they believe in god or not. I say bless America for it's freedom from religion oppression, and long live that freedom.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:48 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I didn't read the other answers. But to answer your questions. No you have every right not to believe. I am a christian and have raised my daughter in the church. I do not consider myself a "Holy Roller" and never will. My boyfriend however is a non-believer and it has never and will never be an issue for us! We respect each other and I believe that's what make us work. I believe my daughter has a great benefit in this because when she has questions we all sit down together and he gives her her point and I give her mine. Just like you she is free to make her decision and I want her to do it with an open mind! I don't like "Holy Rollers" or "Bible Thumpers" but I also don't like it when people think all Christians fall into those categories, which was the feeling I got when reading your question. We all have the right to choose and it has nothing to do with the constitution. We have FREE WILL!!
    BBPStephG

Answer by BBPStephG at 4:19 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I believe in freedom of religion, I want everyone to be able to practice what they believe. However wherever you live certain things are geared towards the majority of people. A lot of this is due to convenience.  It's not possible to accommodate everyone, but I think a real effort should be made to give everyone the ability to practice their beliefs.

It doesn't bother me if someone is a different religion or an atheist.  You can't force people to believe what they don't and you can't force people not to believe in something that they truly do. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I don't really understand this question. However, while I agree that this country WAS founded on Biblical, judeo-christian priniciples, I also believe that one of the freedoms we have in America is the freedom of or from any religion that you choose. I am a Christian, but I don't expect everyone to believe in Christianity just because they live in America. I don't know of any other Christian that believes this either. I agree with all that sailorwifenmom had to say.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 9:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I believe that it's possible in this country to live as a Christian, Atheist, or other belief, in a quiet and peaceful manner according to the laws set down by the state and country. Those that have their children taken from them by the state because of lack of provided medical care and use faith as a means of neglect should receive full punishment...but for the most part I don't see how the way a person chooses to believe or live their life should be imposed on anyone...including your beliefs. If you want your beliefs to at least be respected by others, you have to do the same in turn.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 10:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Don't we also have the right to live in the country where there will be freedom FROM RELIGION??????

You have this freedom. No one is forcing you to go to CHURCH are they? If you are speaking of removing religion, then it is not entirely impossible IMO. That would be a scary future for America IMO.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2010