My 6yr old flashed a gang sign.

Okay, so first off... we live in MT, so we have NO personal experiance with gangs, other then meeting some people who have left gangs. the Next door boy who is 10, acts out this stuff (gets it from his older siblings). Well he aparently showed my 6 yr old how to flash gang signs with his hands. The first time I saw it I told my son that it was unacceptable and that if I saw it again there would be consiqueces. He wants to know why. I do not like saying "because I told you so". But I am not sure how I would explain to him with out exposing him to things he may not understand, or be emotionally ready to process. Any Ideas on how to explain what a gang is, why the behavior is not acceptable? Again... I live in MT... the closest thing we have to ganges, are punks who think they are cool.

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 2:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would not allow my child over there again
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 2:05 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Well he is not allowed over there, but they were hanging out in the yard together, wich after a few things that happend tonight, will not be happening again.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 2:09 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would tell him it is rude and offensive and not allow him around that boy again. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:09 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• He won't be around that boy again, but that doesn't solve the issue of explaing to him why its rude and offensive. He is a super curious child, and usually we are very straight with him... but I'm not sure how to explain it in a way that doesn't expose to much of the horrible stuff that happens.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 2:20 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• At 6, he should have a pretty good idea of "bad things to do" and "good things to do", even if it's not on an adult level. So, one way to handle it is you tell him that just like there are some words that mean bad things, there are some hand gestures that also mean bad things. And that those signs that he's making are signs that are used by people who are bad people who like to be bullies and hurt other people and break the law, so you don't want him doing them, because you don't want people to think that he thinks it's ok to be a bully or someone who breaks the law.

If he asks why the neighbor kid does it, then you could say that some people do that because they think it's cool to pretend to be one of these bad people, because they think it will make people like them, but they're wrong, it just makes them look dumb (or bad, or silly, or whatever word you want that will work with your ds here).

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:44 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Oh, this way you don't have to get into what, exactly, the gangs do - 6 yr olds understand bullies - you don't have to get into the whole issue that these "big people bullies" use guns, knives, etc on people, or that the rules that they break are much worse than the average rules and laws that a 6 yr old hears about.

If he asks what kind of rules, just say they like to pick on people and hurt people and they take things that don't belong to them.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:47 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Tell him the truth. That is my best advise here. You can't do that, because it can make some one hurt you.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:43 AM on Jul. 26, 2010