How do I get over that exercise "hump"?

I exercise regularly (usually sit-ups, lunges, etc...) and run three days a week. Regular exercise I get anywhere from 20-60 minutes 5-7 times a week. I feel like I'm pushing myself hard; I'm definately working up a sweat...once a week at least I try to do 2 minutes of cardio in between each set. Running: I do a speed interval run, about 3 miles, a long run, 5-6 miles and a recovery run, 2-3 miles. I average a 10 minutes mile.
I'm just stuck! I have a traditional pear shaped body, and can't seem to make a dent on thinning my hips. I'm not trying to lose weight, just lose some body fat and gain muscle. I don't have a lot of free time (obviously, with a 3 year old!) and I don't have the extra cash to join a gym or hire a personal trainer.
Any ideas or tips? I'm starting to get super frustrated and lose my motivation to keep going.

TrailMomma

Asked by TrailMomma at 5:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Try mixing it up with other activities to keep your bod guessing.
    Exercise videos (rent or use cable health channels) resistance bands, swimming (call your parks department for a list of low-cost places like high schools or community centers), hiking or bike riding.

Razzle_Dazzle30

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle30 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Definately try mixing it up some. Your body gets use to a particular routine and it won't respond. At first yes, but if you repeatedly do the same thing, you'll hit a standstill.

I like work out videos. P90 is really good. It's one of my favorite. Plus using light wieghts with high reps really builds your muscels out.

Hope this helps.

Blessings.

http://www.4yourfam.com

lovin2Bme

Answer by lovin2Bme at 2:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• You need to add resistance training. You are getting plenty of cardio and this is great! But, cardio over time will make a pear shape just a smaller pear. If you are looking to transform and change your shape not just get smaller, you need to add resistance training. You don't have to go to a gym to get this. You can use some 3 or 5lb free weights or resistance bands. There are many DVD programs that are not long will give you great results. I am using P90X right now. It is a little intense but Beachbody has some other great programs. If you want to know more about them, pm me. Keep at it! Good luck!
    nldeviney

Answer by nldeviney at 6:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Ok, people are going to think I work for Callan, but...Try Callanetics. It gets results, honestly. You need to switch it up. Your body gets used to repeated activities, and it takes more and more to get the same results unless you catch it off guard now and then.

Good job, and keep it going :)
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:52 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• jespeach -- absolutely right! I don't work for her either, but I love the tape!
    Razzle_Dazzle30

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle30 at 1:12 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Check out Syndrome X, see if they can relate to the signs and symptoms, and then go to your Family Practitioner. The medical world is about it. Basically, the woman has a pear shaped body, like an inner tube around her waist. I have been told that I have it. I was always very slim but no matter how much weight I gained or exercised, I never had a waistline, just the the shape of a boy. After my 3rd son's birth I weighed 125lbs and wore a size 8 and started taking a medication for my migraines. It took me 6 years to correct most of the damage. I ate as healthy as I could, kicked the bad habits of soft drinks & snacks, & exercised the best that I could with my physical disabilities. I have had a pear shaped body ever since. Some women just can't get shapely &/or toned no matter WHAT they do.
    calydu

Answer by calydu at 8:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2008