My daughter has been going to her grandmother's house for the past 3 years for daycare. Her son and i have recently split up so I'm in the process of finding a good daycare. Any tips on what questions I should ask or things I need to watch out for when i interview daycares? I'd appreciate it very much!

What should I be looking for when selecting the right daycare for my 3 year-old daughter?

momloveskaitlyn

Asked by momloveskaitlyn at 5:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why are you changing her? I realize you and the father have split, but her grandmother is still her grandmother. Is she really nasty to you that you don't think you could see each other daily to exchange your daughter? Or did she demand that you take her elsewhere? I'm not trying to be mean, please don't take me wrong. But, my thought is that your daughter is going to be confused enough with you and her dad splitting up, continuing to go to grandma might be the best thing for her if it's possible. Changing daycare at the same time as everything else is only going to confuse and upset her more. I'd really try to see if you can work it out with her.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I agree with tropicalmama.
    VAMommyX4

Answer by VAMommyX4 at 7:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I don't know the whole story..so is there a reason why she can't still go to grandmas? Sit down and talk to her. The son and you are having problems not grandma..yes she might be on her sons side more its to be expected. But little one doesn't need everyone she loves to change on her.
    TomboyInATiara

Answer by TomboyInATiara at 9:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• It's always a good idea to ask if they are licensed. Ask for a sample menu. Do they run background checks on their employees? What are their methods of discipline? If your child is potty training make sure to ask if they assist with that. Ask about their curriculum. A lot of daycares even have curriculum for infants. Please feel free to contact me if you have any more q's. My first daughter went to daycare since she was an infant. I got really lucky and found a great daycare. I ended up working there and got some really good tips from working there. Good luck!
    danielleoconn

Answer by danielleoconn at 11:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Why should she leave grandma's because you and dad split? This is her stability. She probably needs to continue to go there. It will be helpful for her as she processes your split. Daycares are not on an even plain with home care. Unless grandma doesn't want her anymore I'd be leaving her there. Blessings!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:04 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• The very most important thing to me is the "feel" of the place. You go in and take her with you. Go at lunch time or just before at like 10:45, so they're at their busiest, that's what you want to see. Do the teachers pay the kind of attention to the kids you'd want for her? Do the kids seem happy? Do the teachers seem frazzled or stressed? Does the place seem like it's orderly or does chaos seem to reign? Is it reasonably sanitary or does it smell like a dumpster? The nose knows! If you get a bad vibe, keep looking. If you get a good homey vibe, you're on the right track. Good luck! Also if you could keep the old arrangement, it would be best, your child already has to deal with your split without too many more changes.

shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 4:08 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Although i agree with what the other moms are saying, if there is no problems with the grandmother it should stay the same, but it is also good for you to take him out to meat new people if it is just going to be the two of you. I had that same situation and it was getting to be hard for my son to adjust to others because he was not used to being around anyone. Just a thought. And when you looking if you choose to make sure you are comfortable there spend an hour so more if you like make sure you like the situation some day cares have cameras in the class ask if you can watch the room that you little one will be in and be sure to take her there see if she likes the atmosphere.

JJMOM0515

Answer by JJMOM0515 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• ok, my husband i moved 600 miles away and it was the hardest thing to put my 2 1/2 year old in daycare , I live in texas, and there is a website that shows the daycares license and the past inspections that have been done and what demerits they got. With the help of that i found one close to work and put her there, she had never been to a daycare, so it was hard, but after a week, we'd drive into the daycare parking lot she'd see the building and cry and say no mommy please, that was an eye opener i switched her that week to a different daycare and now when i take her, she sees the building and she says look mommy my school yay. she loves it. the best advise that i can give you is listen to your child and read between the lines.
    rzurita24

Answer by rzurita24 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2008