How soon can I hear the hearbeat at home with a stethscope?

I am 14 weeks and wondering how soon can I listen to the heartbeat at home.

Zoeybug

Asked by Zoeybug at 5:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have a pretty nice stethoscope and I am 20 weeks along. I can't hear a darn thing other than my own heart beat. I am a little fluffier than most so that could be why but my Dr today told me that some books say 18-20 weeks but he personally believes more like 24 weeks.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 5:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• usually 18 - 20 wks
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• u could try ur looking for something that beats twice as fast as urs..... but i doubt youll hear much unless ur really skinny....
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 5:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• its hard to hear a heartbeat even with a doppler machine at the doctor so its gonna be a while until the baby is real big
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I went for my 12 week appointment and they had a hard time catching the hearbeat for longer than a second or two before the babywould move. I just had my 16 week appointment and it was a lot easier to hear it on the doppler, I dont know how you could even hear it yet with a stethoscope yet. Maybe in a couple of months you can. Good Luck with everything!!!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I never could with either of my pregnancies. The baby has to be positioned in a way that would be helpful and you have to know how your baby is positioned to know where to place it.
    motheram

Answer by motheram at 1:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2008