What do i put in my 16 month old son's sippy cup?Weaning ?

He is getting weaned off of nursing and he doesnt like cow milk.So far I started taking away 1 feeding.Now he only nurses twice during the day.He is great with the sippy cup,5 min. of crying and he drinks his sippy cup...I just dont know what is appropriate to give him.I have given him water and water with a few drops of juice.Is this okay?

By the way...he is drinking his cup to fall asleep(this is the feeding i dropped)

joshismommy

Asked by joshismommy at 1:08 AM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids both took to the sippy cup right away. You can give them almost anything that's watered down (except milk which you don't water down and give to them straight). The best are the 100% juices and juices that are not from concentrate. No sugary drinks or soda. You can also give them rice milk (vanilla flavor is OK I think).

But if he's drinking it to fall asleep you want it to be mostly water if not toatally water. The reason is because he won't swallow it all and it'll sit in his mouth for most of the night. You want to make sure you don't rot his teeth.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 1:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Oh, and don't give him orange juice or lemonaide or anything with citrus. It'll be too harsh on his stomach right now.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 1:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• My doctor told me it was ok to mix a little baby juice in with his milk to get him to drink it. You have to be careful though because certain juices will curdle the milk. I also make sure to give him water in his cup most of the time because I don't want him to not like water. He seems to like it best when I put some ice in the water.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 5:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• We use a little bit of Nesquik powder and milk in our son's sippy cups, he loves the strawberry and chocolate! At 16 months your son can have juice with out watering it down. (Unless you prefer to do it that way!)
    JoeMama

Answer by JoeMama at 5:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• The best thing is just plain WATER! :-) My 18-month-old son LOVES water, he never gets juice (just plenty of fresh fruit) and rarely gets cow's milk (he still nurses). Once you get them used to juice, they'll never go back to just water!
    IrmaLisette

Answer by IrmaLisette at 9:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• could you mix milk wiht breast milk and lower the percentages for a while?
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My 11mo gets either water or juice, but he much prefers ice water. I have given him cows milk, but he really doesn't take to it. He eats everything offered to him, so I'm not worried about his nutrition. I was told with my two older sons to not give them formula or breastmilk in their cup until they were weaned from the bottle. They were both weaned by 12 months.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2008