How much is a babysitter these days?

I have a 10 month old daughter who will have a 16 year old sitter for 5 hours on Saturday night. My daughter will be in bed before the sitter gets there so she wont really have to do anything with her. How much should we pay her? ( This is our first time having a non-family member sitter.)

bbennington1

Asked by bbennington1 at 5:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't know where you live...but around here, the price of a babysitter is crazy!! They charge anywhere from $6.50 up to $12 an HOUR! I remember babysitting for 5 or 6 hours and getting paid like $15 or $20 and thinking "gosh I'm rich" LOL! I do home daycare and don't make half that per hour....I hope more people respond cause I would love to see how much babysitters are charging in other areas.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the PP, when I had my daycare I only charged $2 per hour per child. I would offer $3 an hour since she's not full time and is coming to your house...maybe $4 at the most I would say...I think $20 for the night would be generous.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I pay my babysitter $12 an hour plus I have 3 children.
    kpoires3

Answer by kpoires3 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• when i babysat i always got $3 an hour per child. my daycare that my son went to in nevada charged 3.50 an hour, then a little extra for food.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I WOULD SAY 10.00 AT THE MINIMUM, BUT I PERSONALLY WOULD PROBABLY JUST GIVE HER A FLAT 20.00. I THINK THAT 20.00 WOULD BE VERY GENEROUS, BUT IT IS FOR A FEW HOURS AND IT IS A SATURDAY NIGHT, SO SHE IS PROBABLY TRYING TO EARN SOME SPENDING MONEY. GOOD LUCK I HATE BEING THE PERSON TO PICK A PRICE. I AM AFRAID TO BE TO CHEAP, OR WHEN I AM CHARGING SOMEONE FOR WORK I AM DOING I AM AFRAID THAT THEY WILL THINK I AM RIPPING THEM OFF.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 2:18 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• id give her 30 dollars for the night. it would only be 30 a week. and she is "giving up" her saturday night. (by choice tho) idk i think 30 a night would be fair.
    bennysmom519

Answer by bennysmom519 at 6:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2008