Honest question:

Whats the deal with the Pope? Why is he so special? How does one become the Pope? Why are they always so old? What kind of "power" does he have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Pope is the earthly leader of the Catholic Church.  His official title is Bishop of Rome.  Basically whoever is Bishop of Rome is also the pope.

Catholics believe that Peter the apostle was the first Pope. In the Bible, Jesus made Peter the first pope (Matthew 16:18: "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church."). The article "Peter and the Papacy" provides more biblical evidence for this idea.

After Peter, Linus was made Bishop of Rome (and thus pope) and then there was Cletus, then Clemet I and so on until the current Pope Benedict.  A List of Popes is here.   We have early church writings that indicate who the early bishops of Rome/popes were and generally when they were pope.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I don't know the answers to the OP questions but for the other question...no I don't think that other religions recognize him as thier leader. For example, the Mormons have a Prophet. I think the Pope is respected by most other religions though.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• the pope is the head of the catholic churches just like the prophet of the mormon churches ... generally speaking the pope is "Gods go to guy " and he is always so old because there is som many years of training and studies they have to go threw . he is just like the i guess you could say "head father" of the church .. i hope that answered your question ...
    Anonymous

• CONTINUED

Exactly how someone becomes pope (the details and all) has changed over time. But generally it's similar in how it's oultined in the bible in Acts 1:20 (replacement of Judas) . The Bishops get together and determine who will be the leader - the Bishop of Rome. For a description of the modern process you can read "Electing the Pope"

Popes are not always old. There have been popes as young as 18 or 20 years old. Popes are probably older now because with age comes wisdom and experience that is necessary to lead an entire church.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• CONTINUED

The pope doesn't have any super powers or anything. He doesn't have a direct line to God and can't make up anything he wants. Popes are human beings who sin and unfortunately there have been some popes who did not follow the teachings of the church they lead. There is the idea that the Pope he can't teach something as true that isn't true infallibility). It's very limited in scope. The articles "Papal Infallbility" explains it more.

Also the article "The Pope" is written by a formal evangelical who converted to Catholicism also explains more about Catholic understanding of the pope.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• He really is nothing...I dont think anyone else recognizes him as anything. Catholics use him as a way to relay and hear messages from their church..that is the size of it...Im not sure if they worship him as anything but whatever...I dont see him as anything tho.
    Anonymous

• The pope is the head of the Catholic church not ALL churches.  The Queen is the head of the Church of England.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Actually, Yeshua (Jesus) is the head of the Church. He is the High Priest according to Scripture. I'm not sure why Catholics have a pope.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Actually, I'm pretty sure there's a book by The Man himself that states, "Do not search for me in buildings made of wood and stone." Am I wrong?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Most organizations have a leader.

Religious orgainizations have religious leaders.

The Pope is the religious leader of the Catholic Church...for the actual explaination of how he is chosen, why and what he does, read eringobroughs posts--HERS are actually factual and not based on personal opinion and supposition..
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 6:50 AM on Oct. 3, 2008