Infection under my thumbnail??

My thumb has been really red and swollen...there is a whitish circle under my thumb nail...I have been putting my thumb in warm water and then I pierce the circle and pus comes out...I finally was finally able to cut my nail down far enough where the pus is exposed, my finger is finally feeling a little better...what should I do so it does not get further infected? And how do I know if I need to see the dr? Sorry this was long and gross :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Health

• I'd wash it out with peroxide, put some neosporin on it and cover it with a bandaid.. good luck.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 5:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Peroxide Peroxide Peroxide
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 7:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Same as the previous 2 posters. I would keep it lanced, keep it clean. Peroxide, Iodine, Neosporin (sp?) And if it continues to get worse, or the redness travels up your thumb (toward your hand) then you need to see a doctor ASAP.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• epsom salt to help draw out the puss..... and cover with triple antibiotic...GL
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2008