natural induction

How long after sex will labor come for a natural induction

Bradensmom08

Asked by Bradensmom08 at 1:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• sex wont work unless ur body is totally ready. I had sex at 10pm and went into labor at 2am, but I had been having sex for weeks to try to get the ball rolling....
    janina918

Answer by janina918 at 2:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• your baby will come when he/she is ready to come. It doesn't matter WHAT you try in the meantime.
    Butterflycraze2

Answer by Butterflycraze2 at 2:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• A study of over 90 women at the end of their pregnancies were asked about their sex lives. More than 50 of the women were still having sexual intercourse at the end of their pregnancies (after the 37th week). According to this study, not only was sex not likely to induce labor but it actually seemed to delay labor for a couple of days. The group that was still having sex had an average gestational age of 39.9 weeks, while the group who was not having sex gave birth on average at 39.3 weeks. This difference is not really relevant to clinical practice, but when you're the pregnant woman - it's a different story.

The study wasn't able to measure the type of sex had by the women. It also did not take into account factors like depth of penetration, multiple orgasms or nipple stimulation.

Resources

Jonathan Schaffir et al. "Sexual intercourse at term does not hasten the onset of labor or result in cervical ripening." Obstet Gyneco
    New2WAHJ

Answer by New2WAHJ at 7:08 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• My doc made me do nipple stimulation when my son was late. You have to keep doing it until your contractions are strong and regular. I hated it, especially since I was in the hospital (I was being induced but it wasn't working). But, I would definitely do it again (in my own home) if my next baby is late.
    jthimes

Answer by jthimes at 5:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2008