Every book I read says that after 16 weeks that I should not lay on my back. Is this something I should listen too? The books say that if you lay on your back after 16 weeks the baby weighs enough to cut off its own circulation. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Zoeybug

Asked by Zoeybug at 5:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• That's somewhat true. There is a major vein in your back, and when you lie flat, it can pinch that, and that's a supply that goes to the baby. Lying on your back is fine as long as you're propped up at about a 45 degree angle. Just not flat on your back. But a few minutes won't hurt, like if you want to stretch or somthing. I used to do it to stretch and to see my stomach stick straight up! hehe. As long as you aren't laying flat for a long time you'll be ok.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Yes it's true. It's going to take a little time getting used to sleeping on sides or propped up with pillows.
    Maggie2410

Answer by Maggie2410 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• get some pillows and don't worry....But I know you will anyway, All the good moms do.
    kristaldlopez

Answer by kristaldlopez at 6:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I would prop all my pillows underneath me so I wasn't flat on my back, but I am thinking I was told up to ten minutes was fine flat.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• yep. i heard that from the doc as well. it can cut off the baby's h2o supply. your not supposed to for more than like ten min.
    Anonymous

• don't lie on ur back. when u get a little further along, it will hurt to lie on ur back anyway so u won't want to. it hurts to lie on ur back or belly so just get used to side lying
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I had heard about it, but I just thought that it was cause there is a nerve in your back, I didn't know anything about it cutting off supplies to the baby! I slept on my back or sides most of my pregnancy with no problems, it never did hurt me to do that and my son is perfectly healthy...not that you shouldn't listen to the advice the other moms gave, I'm sure they know what they are talking about! Good luck with your pregnancy.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 6:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• if its true lol thats new to me lol most of my pregnancy with my first i slep on my back .. but i agree maybe pillows will help ...
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2008