Teenage piercings (other than the ears) and tattoos.....

Is this OK and if so at what age? I tell my 14 year old no when she asked about getting her bellybutton pierced but she has friends getting them done as well as lips, eyebrows, etc; And they are getting tattoos too. So how do I continue to say NO without using the all time favorite "cliches" like: "Because I'm the mom and I said so" or "If your friends jumped off a cliff would you?"

BBPStephG

Asked by BBPStephG at 5:01 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't know..... I don't even have my ears pierced!!!! LOL
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:02 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Why not offer an alternative. Like a concert she really wants to go to, etc.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:03 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• you can also offer to buy her something she likes instead, nice clothes...etc.
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 5:05 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• piercings can be taken out and most will eventually grow back.

If you really dont want her to get one then tell her why. If she is mature enough to handle the responsibility of a piercing then she will be mature enough to respect your opinion.

Oh and you could do what a friend of mine did and have you DD write a 3 page essay on piercings, to include but not be limited to the history of piercings, the risks involved and why she wants the piercing.

I would even go as far as to sit down with her and "google" piercings gone wrong. Like the ones that got infected and had to have surgical intervention.

Good Luck
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 5:08 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would worry if my DD's friends started doing stuff like that at 14. Most the time in HS the kids who did that were sexually active and went over to poeples houses to drink. I got my belly button pierced at 16, but I didn't really want it done. It was a bday present from my SIL, who in HS drank and was sexually active and thought all girls wanted it done. Jmho
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 5:25 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My approach, when she is old enough to get it done legally without me, then she is old enough to decide for herself. In my home state of NC, you have to be 18 in order to get anything done without a parent. Once my kids are 18, its up to them and I won't be mad one way or the other, but I want them to be old enough to make mature decisions that affect their bodies for the rest of their lives. I wouldn't exactly call 18 mature, but once they hit that age, there is nothing I can do to stop them.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 5:46 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would tell her that she is too young to make those permanent decisions, but when the frontal lobes in her brain are finally done growing at around the age of 18 or 19, then she can make those decisions for herself. But, until that frontal lobe is completely grown, & until you have a full brain on your shoulders, i have to make decisions for you...sorry.

I would also show her pictures of the ugly scarring that it leaves.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:49 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My children have all been told that any tattoos are after they are 18 and legally can get one in NC without my signature AND they have to pay for their own. And piercings beyond the single hole in each ear that my daughter has are the same. Not til after I don't have to give consent and they are paying.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:15 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My thirteen keeps begging me to get her bellybutton pierced and her friends are having it done to!
    I say no. I told her she has to wait till she gets older!!!
    Mommyto3girls36

Answer by Mommyto3girls36 at 8:32 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• This is a hard one for me, one DD had her belly done at 14...maybe 15. I took her and 3 friends to have it done. My other DD has five or 6 in her face and a ton on her ears all before she was 17. I am OK with the piercings cause they can and are removed on occasions where she should not wear them and the hole's are not noticeable. I dug my feet in on the piercings but eventually she came to me with an argument I could not argue back (don't remember what it was now, I believe I made her research the pro's and cons). Tattoo's I will not give in on, what a child likes at 14/15/16 is not what they are going to like at 20/21 or 50 and those don't go away and can not just be removed.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:32 AM on Jul. 26, 2010