Losing weight while taking tegretol

I've been taking a medicine called Tegretol for 10 years now. I lost 20 pound after having my second baby two years ago with no problem. Now that I've been trying to lose another 30 pounds for the past few months it seems impossible. My question is if you've ever been or are taking tegretol what did you do to lose weight? And how long did it take you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Well, my little brother either used to take this or still does (he's been on many medications for seizures over the years) so I was curious and looked it up. It appears it can actually cause weight gain to take it, so it's no doubt you're having trouble losing weight. Although it did say to avoid drinking grapefruit juice while taking this medicine.
    I would speak to your doctor about what you can do to lose weight.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 6:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You loose or DONT loose weight in DIRECT relation to how many calories you eat, verses how many calories you burn. EAT LESS!!! Get out and move more! Talk walks, do yard work, KEEP MOVING all day! NEVER sit around lounging on the couch or floor with your kids. DONT make excuses as to why you cant loose weight. In order to gain what you do not have, you must be willing to do what you have NOT yet done. Also? ASK your Dr about a different medication than tegretol, as there are several NEW, BETTER med's for that drug.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:45 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• thanks vbruno! just to let you know I don't stuff my face with food all day. i only eat once a day if that. and i'm moving constantly throughout the day. i don't want to switch medz cuz i'm hoping to be off it complete within the next year or so.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010