Spinoff on 2 income families

So if a family truly isn't making ANY more money with that second income than with just one why would both people work?

MooNFaeRie30

Asked by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:33 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• I know people who work even though they don't need the second income or don't take home much, if anything, after paying for childcare in order to work. Every single one provides the same reason for doing it...they like it! Not everyone is cut out to stay home all the time with their kids. Working in a field you enjoy can be very fulfilling, even if it is not very profitable.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 5:37 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I agree. I know several people who work for reasons other than the financial.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:40 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• When I was a full time SAHM, I worked one day a week. I loved my kids, but I wanted to keep my foot in the door for when I would go back to work full time. It also helped me keep my sanity as I actually got to have adult conversations. My sister did the same thing and we would trade babysitting each other's kids, so no money went out.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:52 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Some people work to keep their self busy.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:03 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• my dh's income pays all of our bills..when i work its just to have extra cash for myself. I like to feel like i'm helping by not having to ask for money for things i want. Make up, new clothes...etc.. i like doing both....i think when we get pregnant i will stay home full time once i'm half way through the pregnancy. Hopefully that will be soon.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• SOme people, like myself work b/c I have to here in NJ it is just tooo expensive to live off 1 income unless 1 is truly making a 6 figure income.
    However, my way to have the best of both worlds is to have a real legitimate and reliable business from home, where I am with my kids 24.7 and making as much as my DH.
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Not everyone is content to stay at home, and let his or her career stall.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2010