What age do you think kids stop needing parental supervision?

I moved out of my house at 18. Got a job, went to college.. the whole 9 yards... So, I find it kind of odd people still asking questions about their 17+ year old kids. I was a live in babysitter, or at my BF's house when I turned 16 anyway, so I was never home.
What age do you think a child stops being a child that you can punish or discipline?

I don't really know for myself yet cuz DD is only 1 :)

MomtoElliett

Asked by MomtoElliett at 6:50 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• my 19 year old son is now responisble for his own food, clothes, laundry, toiiletries, gas, car insurance. He bought the car with cash. But he doesn't "get" credit cards/ checking account or bill paying yet. We are working on that. He has special needs and is doing very well, but hasn't gone to college or decided what to do with his life. He makes money delivering Chinese food....
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:32 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• When they are 18 and are out of my house.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• When they are no longer living under my roof. As long as they are living here, they will follow the rules of the house (curfew, chores, helping around the house, etc). I didn't move out until I was 20 (I was working part-time and a full-time student and helping my mom at home) and I followed my mom's rules until then. That's how it is for us as well.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:11 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• When they move out. If I pay the bills they will abide by house rules.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 7:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think that when I am no longer financially responsible for them, then they can do as they please. Until that point, I am the parent and always have a say so.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:41 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think all kids mature at different paces, so sometimes i think they turn 18 but they're still not ready. I don't know, but 18 seems fine. My sister's 19 and she wouldnt live a day on her own.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 7:24 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• As long as I'm responsible for them, they will have my supervision. Even when they're 18, if we're paying for their college, we will be "supervising" to make sure they are keeping their grades up.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:03 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• When they move out!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 8:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• As long as that child must live under the parent's roof, rely on the parent to provide food, shelter and any other necessity, then that child is subject to the rules of that parent. My house equals my rules! If the kid unit is 4 or 40, makes no difference.

After my child no longer needs me to provide those necessities, I will no longer be able to expect her to follow my rules, but I would hope she would still need my guidance. The hard part then is waiting to be asked for it.
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 8:14 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Parental Supervision, when they are mature enough to make decisions that are responsible and show maturity. For my children, that has been between 16 and 18.
    There is a HUGE difference between Parental Supervision and House rules. My twins are 20 yrs old and both currently live here part or full time. While I don't have to supervise them because they are mature enough to not need me to make their decisions, they still have to follow house rules.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:10 AM on Jul. 26, 2010