How on earth???

How in the world do u get a 2 1/2 yr old to pick up her toys. I'm about to never buy another toy again. They're everywhere and she throws her self on her bed and acts asleep when i tell her to pick them up. she keeps moping from corner to corner. until i forget. i give her time out and yell at her to pick them up, she just keeps laughing and running away???????????????? i'm 9 months pregnant and cant keep picking them, bending once is a hassle!lol

fefe87

Asked by fefe87 at 7:32 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used to say this: You pick up all the things that are blue, I'll pick up all the yellow. Then other colors. Make a game/learning experience out of it. I think 2.5 is a little bit young to expect her to do it by herself. PLUS she is in that stage where she is going to test you and try to assert her independence and control. Don't make it a power issue.

Also, Rileymommy had a good one. simply saying we can't do x until the toys are cleaned up, makes the consequences natural, not imposed. (and don't say it mad, say it matter of factly) But you have to stick to it, don't ever back down on the consequences or else you'll be paying the consequences when she doesn't believe any of your threats.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:17 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• ok i agree with trying not to get mad, but lets be real here!! it is frustrating and you 9 MONTHS PREGGERS!!!! try to not let the mess get to big before you have her clean it up. my daughter will clean up ok, but if the mess gets to big i think she feels overwhelmed. i just say we cant move on to the next thing (snack, walk, store, park, ) untill your mess is cleaned up! GL momma and CONGRATS!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 8:03 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• What I did with my kids when they were that age was I played music, sat down on the floor and helped them pick up. I made a game out of it for them (can you pick up more toys than mommy in 10 minutes?). I also found ways to organize the toys a little (kitchen play stuff in one drawer, duplo blocks in another, etc).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• first of all, stop yelling at her & putting her in time out. Obviously, that is not helping the situation. Try really hard to keep your cool. This is what worked for me. I had a special song i would play while cleaning. And no, it was not some stupid "everybody clean up" song. It was actually a grateful dead song...lol. Anyhow, i would tell her it's time for us to clean up & that it is a race to see who can pick up quicker. We made it a game. If she was able to pick up more toys than i could, she would get a treat. Maybe fruity snacks, or a small toy (i would always stack up on those small crappy toys you get out of the coin machine, but when she was 2, she LOVED those.) If she did not help clean up, then she would get something taken away from her, like maybe desert,, or lose a playdate. I got creative with that one. Anyhow, she learned quickly, Just have to stick with it & not get upset.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Great ideas here. She is very young and will do best if you do it with her without the anger. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:55 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• all great ideas,, I make a game out of it as well,, singing with my son as he helps cleaning up his toys, he's the same age as your child...

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 8:27 AM on Jul. 26, 2010