BIRTH CONTROL WHILE BREASTFEEDING?

iM ABOUT TO GIVE BIRTH TO MY 2ND DAUGHTER AND I AM GOING TO BREASTFEED AGAIN. BUT I DO'NT PLAN ON HAVING ANYMORE BABY'S ANYTIME SOON. ARE THERE ANY BIRTH CONTROLS THAT ARE SAFE WHILE NURSING?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 8:20 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• the mini pill (progestin only mentioned above) is often prescribed. there are lots that are safe but there is always that risk that your milk supply will drop! the mini pill has a lower risk (but also is less effective!)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• jolivette. Its what they gave me right after, progesterone only pill. You can also get an iud or depo.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:22 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i have the paraguard IUD and its non-hormonal, so its safe for breastfeeding, and it lasts up to 10 years. its nice not having to worry about taking a pill or anything.
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 8:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes there are and chances are your doctor will talk to you about it after delivery. I was put on a low dose pill that I can't for the life of me remember the name of. But yes you should talk to your OB if he/she doesn't mention it shortly after delivery.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:18 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have the Mirena IUD and I love it! I have had it for about 3 years now. I had it put in when I will still breastfeeding my son.
    koyanddagansmom

Answer by koyanddagansmom at 2:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010