Why is my toddler pooping "soft?" adult content

For the past couple weeks, my 19-month-old girl has been pretty much liquid-sh*tting... i thought maybe her juice needed to be diluted a bit more (as too much fruit will give you diarrhea), and that helped a little bit, but... it's like, no matter what kind of diaper/what size diaper i buy, she's still leaking out of them (including a total bed-and-kid-soaker at 2am)... Help!!

Kassey713

Asked by Kassey713 at 8:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call her pediatrician's office and talk to a nurse about it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Perhaps the lack of fiber in her diet is causing it. A body needs fiber to bulk up the stool.besides the pediasure,all that stuff is processed foods. Try making up some fruit and veggie smoothies.My son likes strawberry,blueberry,banana,and carrot ones.Blend the fruit./veggies with apple or orange juice.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Teething will do that- all the extra saliva goes straight through them. It would also explain her sudden aversion to food.

BTW- juice has ZERO nutritional value, giver her a piece of fruit to gnaw on instead. "Too Much Fruit" simply is impossible, and though the juice its self, devoid of all of the fruits goodness, can and will give you the runs if you eat too much, that's not the case with fruit or veggies... a LACK of fiber in your diet can also cause diarrhea.
    If that is all she is eating, I would suggest things like frozen blueberries or peas (for teething)- apple wedges with the skins peeled off, mash up an avocado & a banana (it tastes like caramel pudding!!), let her play with her food, and make a mess. If she is in pain (as I suspect she is, given her behavior, and age) then cool/hard things to chew on will help.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:38 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Food intolerance

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• butterflyblue19 - that was my thought too, but she's barely eating anything! all of a sudden chicken nuggets and scrambled eggs are being boycotted, so she's living on Goldfish, french fries (unsalted), yogurt and cereal bars, with a PediaSure at night. I'm just stuck...
    Kassey713

Comment by Kassey713 (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i'm def gonna try that; thanks! :)
    Kassey713

Comment by Kassey713 (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Could be something as simple as a food not agreeing with her to something like a virus. Talk with her Pedi.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:01 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Is she teething? My children would get runny poop when they were cutting teeth. I would call the doctor's office though. That's a long time and especially pooping during the night. That would concern me.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:21 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• NannyB - yeah, her "vampire teeth" are currently breaking through and giving her hell.. :\

But I called her pediatrician; we're going tomorrow afternoon.
    Kassey713

Comment by Kassey713 (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I had to cut juice out completely to keep my son from having very runny poop. Now he is almost 3 and still doesn't drink real juice. His "juice" is flavored water.
    tess785

Answer by tess785 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 26, 2010