Is acrylic paint okay for my baby to finger paint with?

She is 8 months old. I was wanting to have her fingerpaint on a canvas. If I supervise her and not let her eat it, is it okay?

CidneAndNaomi

Asked by CidneAndNaomi at 6:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Hi, my name is Brenda. I used to own and opperate my own day care. What I would use for the babies instead of paint is, pudding or yogurt. That way you won't have to worry about the baby getting it into her mouth. Hope you both have fun with this idea.
    texasmoma1

Answer by texasmoma1 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I always used the Crayola washable paints. They're non toxic AND washable.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• acrylic is TOXIC and harmful or fatal if swallowed. You can make your own safe finger paints with powdered sugar water and food colorings. Add enough water to a small cup of powdered sugar to get the thiness you want then add a few drops of food coloring . This paint can also be used to paint cookies for decorating. Kids love it and it's safe to eat.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• i agree on the crayola washable paint. Any kind of Tempra paint is non toxic. Not all are washable. You can even make your own just be careful of Salmonella. A few egg whites in a bowl, whisk and add food coloring. Its a messier paint but it works.
    GeishaTatMama66

Answer by GeishaTatMama66 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• NOOOO, do not use acrylic paint. Anything with a strong smell liek that is a no. Get real finger paints or use pudding.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Okay, I will say this, I did it as a gift for my grandmother when my son was 13 months old. He got it all over himself including his face (I did not allow it to get into his mouth). He is 4 now, and reading at a first grade level (as tested and placed by the reading specialist at our elementary school) so not only did he survive physically, but there was no brain damage either. I say, watch carefully, and go for it. Take a picture of her after she is done, and include it on the canvas. Seal it with a clear coat or after a few years the paint will start chipping. My grandmother still has my son's hanging on her wall. I love it!
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 10:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Well the thing is acrylic paint is completely non washable. Because when it dries it's basically hard plastic. I guess there's nothing wrong with using it as long as it isn't ingested and you don't mind it being non washable. Obviously just use play clothes for that craft. But I would most likely use some kind of kid finger paint. And I really liked the suggestion by 3gifts.from.god about taking a picture and putting it on the canvas and then sealing it all with a clear coat. I'll have to try it.
    Eleanor_Rigby

Answer by Eleanor_Rigby at 10:32 AM on Oct. 8, 2008