Should bloggers be regulated?

There are radicals out there who think bloggers are getting out to much information and should be regulated by the government. What do you think?
I think if journalists can say and do what they do then bloggers have every right to say what they see as the facts and their beliefs. After all, there really is a difference. Journalists in the media are supposed to be putting the FACTS out there. Everyone knows bloggers are opinion pieces for the most part. Why are these radicals afraid of them?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ideas about regulating things like blogging come from stupid people who don't understand how the internet works. They're the same ones who say they're going to ban internet porn or ban spam mail. It's akin to someone in the 18th century telling everyone they're going to ban seasonal weather changes. They have no idea what they're talking about, but they think they have some sort of power to stop it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• They should be governed by the same laws that we are and if they print something untrue &  slanderous they should be sued.

Don't think they need their own Blogger law

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:57 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Seems like a law infringing on free speech.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:02 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I didn't know "radicals" want to control or censor bloggers. Freedom of Speech and all that is vital and we can't arbitrarily decide who gets to print or voice their opinions. If they go beyond what is proper or libel anyone,then they will answer to the legal system, not us. We have no right to censor.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• CONT: And I don't see how Bloggers' content can be"Regulated". Isn't that a form of censorship,too?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Link?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:52 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• well, it depends largely on the content of the blog, and whether the existing laws can be applied to cover dangerous behavior.

For instance, we have free speech, but you cannot yell fire in a theater if there is none.

So, if a blogger types out that the President should die a bloody death, and a true patriot would go and murder him immediately, and then type out a bunch of "facts" that support his argument, is he to be held blameless if a follower of his goes and does just that?

I'm not sure. and it gets into a funny gray murky colored water area there. I don't like government intrusion at all, but inciting chaos or violence...should hold some repercussions. Tell me your thoughts.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:59 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Creepy, isn't it Steph? Yet you will always find a few who will say "I have no problem with that".
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• A blog is someones opinions or the knowledge someone else has to share what are they going to regulate?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Sorry I deleted my last answer, wanted to find a better link. There are numerous links, BTW.  Apparently this has been brought up quite a bit.  This one is from 2005.

San Francisco May Regulate Blogging | Personal Democracy Forum

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:58 AM on Jul. 26, 2010