If its your childs bday do you feel like you should buy gifts for your other children too?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• NOPE and NOPE. Kids these days expect too much already. Its the brother/ sisters birthday and they need to learn and be taught how to be excited for their family when its THEIR turn.

Not too mention its not fair for the birthday kid.

Parents need to quit feeling guilty when their kids dont get every little thing, its already creating a generation of entitled people. People who feel like they are OWED something.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:58 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Not really b-day is just that b-day so everyone else has to wait till their b-day.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:00 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• No and No.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:00 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• No, they need to know that it is a special day for the child that has the birthday. It isn't always about "things". We need to teach our children it is important to make others feel good and special. I feel it is giving them permission to be selfish if I have to give the others a gift too. Its part of life. As a preschool teacher and daycare provider, I see it regularly. We are becoming a materialistic society. We aren't teaching our children empathy. It is important for them to learn to be happy for others. So when they attend school, how are they going to react when a child has a special day, or someone else is chosen as line leader. It is a process. Teach them good self esteem, to be responsible and make this world a better place because they are in it helping others.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:01 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• unless it is their birthday nope. . .why get them something to celebrate someone else's day? They will have their turn when it is their birthday.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 10:03 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• No but it makes it hard when they get money to spend. They usually don't ask for any presents but they can't stand to see each other have cash and take them shopping.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 10:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• no I don't sometimes it upsets me too becauser well I give my kids gifts on there birthday and usually have there birthdday party on another day where they get gifts fot my girls when it is there birthday. Well when it comes to my oldest DD's birthday she is 5. They get her something and not my youngest she is 2.5 which that is how it is supose to be. But then when it comes to my 2.5 year old's birthday my mom, my grandma, my DH's grandma and my DH's dad gets my 5 year old something for her too when it is my 2.5 year olds birthday which I think is wrong cause for one they don't do it for my 2.5 year old on my 5 year olds birthday and 2 becasue now my 5 year old thinks everytime it is her sisters birthday she is going to get something as well. It agravates me sometimes. They say they don't want her to feel left out, but I a like well it isn't her birthday though.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• for her brothers birthday NO i will not buy DD something, his birthday is right before christmas so she can just wait another 10 days for "santa" lol. and vice versa, he will not get something just because it is her birthday.

however when i had my baby shower for him i did get her a little something (an "I'm the big sister" shirt) so she wouldn't feel left out of the celebration. but that's it.
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Nope.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• No way! It's important for kids to learn and understand that they can't always be getting what everyone else is...she will a gift on her birthday, but today, we're honoring her sister. I'm not trying to knock anyone else, but my personal feeling is that stuff like that just contributes to this sense of entitlement that's so pervasive in our society.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:10 AM on Jul. 26, 2010