Does anyone have any experience with potty training an older child with special needs?

My 5 and a half year old child has a congenital brain defect but is extrememly high functioning. He will go if I stand him in front of the toilet, but he just doesnt seem to understand the concept because 10 minutes later he will go in his diaper again.
Any and all help would be appreciated.

elle31106

Asked by elle31106 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yep. My son has autism and was fully trained last year...at 8. Consistency was what worked. We put him in underwear. If he messed them,we calmly changed him,told him that pee and poop go in the toilet,and put him in another pair of underwear. The school helped out a ton with keeping our on the toilet every 30 minutes rule.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have a cousin who is special also. With him at a younger age until he got the hang of things every 30 mins or so my aunt would tell him to go tinkle. As long as they told him to go he would unless he didnt have to and then he would grunt at them to let them know he didnt have to. They took his diaper tho because with him he knew he wouldnt get wet with it on. at times it was stressful for them but im sure over time he will understand. Now he goes to bathroom for 1 and 2 on his own. Other than buttoning pants. Shorts or jogging pants were easy for him so thats what he always were at home during the potty training process. Hope this helps some.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 26, 2010