what do you do about work when you want to breast feed?

This is my first child and I am ok with the price of diapers and clothes and other necesseties. My only concern is that I will not be able to find or afford a day care bill. Not only that, but what did everyone else do when it was time to go back to work and you wanted to make sure your little one was ok with whomever you left them with? How can a first time mom live worry free for the first year? PLEASE HELP!!!

Queentdi

Asked by Queentdi at 9:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

• Well there is no such thing as worry free, but there are a million ways to make things work. You have to get creative and learn to choose what is the most important.
    For our family, I changed my schedule to EARLY mornings, so I work from 4-10 am. S/O works from 10-5 and we are home in the evenings.
    You will find the right answer for your family, but you will never be completely worry free, thats what moms do. Worry.
    Congrats and much Love
    Alex
    alex

Answer by alex at 9:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• So, this is really a question about going back to work and using daycare, not breastfeeding? Just pump at work if that's your concern.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have a sitter who I found through a friend at work, she has watched all 4 of my kids from 8 weeks old, I can trust her completely, I know I'm blessed. As for breastfeeding, I would pump and store starting weeks before I went back to work and would take over about what I thought the baby would need for the day and pump at work on my breaks. I would try to find someone that is stable that you can know on a personal level, remeber what is going on in their personal lives does affect how they will care for your child. My sitter and I are actually good friends now and even go shopping together, she even went with me when I had to take my son to the hospital. So I do recommend talking to friends, neighbors and co-workers to see if they know anyone. Good luck.
    adove01

Answer by adove01 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Pump at work and freeze it right away, if you can. Leave it with the sitter. Breastfeeding as often as possible will keep your milk supply up and also drinking LOTS of water should help keep it up if you have to pump.

Worry free? The only way to do that is to have your little one at your side at all times! But you will survive - everybody does. Have you ever considered working from home to avoid going back to work?
    mtnmom5

Answer by mtnmom5 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 19, 2008