does cry it out work?

Am trying to get my 9month to sleep in his crib,he just cries and cries,

Asked by mummytobe at 1:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hes learning basic trust vs mistrust right now, when you let him CIO you show him that he can't trust you. Just let him sleep in bed with you, he wont be in their until hes 10 like some people believe, trust me you will get more sleep and so will he.

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• After reading the book 'Healthy Sleep Habits: Happy Child' I let my daughter cry it out. The first night it took about 30 minutes, then less and less each night. Now we can put her in her crib at bedtime and she just curls up with her blankie and goes to sleep talking to herself. And she wakes up in the morning in a much better mood than when she used to sleep with us. It won't make your child love you any less. It has nothing to do with trust. Your child needs to learn independence and how to self-soothe. Good sleep habits are important..even for babies. Everyone gets a better night sleep in their own bed. You should read the book, it's very helpful!

Answer by Jessica_1717 at 2:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• SPOILED. no! mine is a lot younger then yours and still feels that she needs to cry all tht time until you pic her up. she even has a comforting little noise that she makes when she is content that you picked her up.

Answer by dichevygurl87 at 3:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Never worked with mine...and My heart simply cannot take this so called "treatment'.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Okay..yeah..I let my DS cry it out at 7 months. And he still loves me. He never distrusted me b/c I did CIO the proper way. Everyone has this big misconception that you just let your child cry and cry. It makes me so irritated when I see that. My child has nothing wrong with him b/c I let him cry. I will say this..CIO does not work for every child. But if it does work, Ferber method is the best. You place your LO to bed and if they cry, wait 5 min. When you go in, don't pick them up, and in less than 30 seconds, tuck them back in and calm them down (I always told my son that I loved him and it's okay, go to sleepie), then leave. Wait another 5 min and if they are still crying, do the same thing. Each time you can add 5 min to the waiting time. The first night I did it..I went up to 25 min. The second night 10 min and the 3rd night..he was fine. And in the morning he was happy to see me :)

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 9:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Does it work? For older babies and toddlers, yes. It's the parents who can't deal with it.

Some moms will tell you it's a horrible thing to do. Others will tell you it's the ONLY thing to do. Neither is right. ONLY YOU can determine if it's the right thing for your family.

If you decide to try it, there are three basic types:
    - Put the baby in bed, kiss them goodnight, and leave them.
    - Go back and check on them after slowly increasing time periods until they are asleep.
    - Start out sitting next to them and slowly move yourself out of the room over days or weeks.
    Make a plan and give it a try for 5 days. CIO fails when parents don’t follow through.

I had to do CIO in the end. I had to go with the tuck her in bed and leave her option since my DD will not sleep if I keep peeking in at her or if I am in the room. She loves me, trusts me, and still turns to me for comfort when she gets a boo-boo. Not giving i

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• let's be honest do you really want to sit around and listen to your baby cry, it gets annoying to me other people can listen to it and it won't bother them at all, but mothers see it in a different light.

Answer by mimig17 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Every child is different. With my 16 month old, he would cry and cry as long as he knew I was there. This was very upsetting to me, and I must admit, quite frustrating.
    One night, hubby said, "Just let him be and see how he does" so I put him to bed, did our whole goodnight routine, and walked away. He cried for only a few minutes until he realized I wasn't right there in his room, I wasn't right outside his door. I checked in on him about 5 minutes later and he was fast asleep.
    But that's MY kid. No certain thing is guaranteed to work with yours. Do what YOU feel is best.

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 12:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I did it with my son and it worked great! Before he went to sleep between midnight and one am, and wake up early. My doctor recommended letting him cry-it-out. It was hard, but ever since, he sleeps through the night, goes to sleep so much earlier, and wakes up a lot later. I am so glad we did it. It made such a big difference!

Answer by sunshinepraying at 9:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2008