Are you close to your adult kids? adult content

And are they boys or girls? I want a girl so badly just bc it seems adult girls are closer to their moms than boys. I only have one boy and I want a little girl so bad. But I'm not in a good place right now so I can't try. But when I do I'm going to be so upset if I have another boy and I can't handle more than two.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 10:06 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I have 4 sons who are 18, 19, 22 and 23. The older 2 have been out on their own for 5 and 4 years (1 is in the Army and lives in WA state and the other lives in TX, we're in OH) and they call several times a week just to say hi.My oldest son's wife also calls often just to talk. My 19yo just left for basic training and when he can he calls home and once he's out of basic I know he'll call home because that's the kind of bond we have. Before he left for basic training he and his 18yo brother went out with their dad and I a couple of times of week and enjoyed spending time with us. Our 18yo is off to college in 3 weeks and he's thrilled that we'll be seeing him every week at his football games and after the game to just spend time together. We have always been a very close family and it hasn't changed as our sons have gotten older.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I didn't mean to mark this TMI!
    fairyinabubble

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I am very close to all three of them, I have two girls and one boy, my girls are 32, 31, and my boy came ten years later he is 23. My girls are very close to my and my son just has a different personality but all three are my pride and joy. Do not be upset if you have another boy, they are special in every way, and two of the same sex is the perfect couple.

Answer by older at 10:09 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have 2 amazing girls... One is 18 she is a sophmore in college and a 20 year old she is a senior in college we are very close .
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:10 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have two grown adult daughters. Don't count on it that a daughter will be closer to you than a son. I was extremely close to my eldest daughter and she met a young man and things have changed dramatically. I used to talk to her 4 times a week on the phone, we did stuff together and emailed regularly. We even got together every other weekend. Now I only see her if I go there. She never calls, and doesn't take my calls anymore. The wedding was awful. My husband and I were totally pushed out and treated terribly. They are close to her husband's family, see them every day, his mother cares for my grand daughter every day and we never see them. They never come home and we get no pictures. All I can say is treasure your kids, enjoy the time you have with them because you never know what will happen when they meet someone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I am close to mine he is 19 and my youngest is 17 I might be having another baby and hope for a girl as well.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I keep a healthy distance away from my mom. She is too needy. I have a more open relationship with my MIL. The biggest difference between these two women is the way they listen. If I am frustrated with something, my mom will somehow turn that into a pity party or how she could have done a better job raising me (she did fine). If I share that same thing with my MIL, I will be listened to, she asks thought provoking questions, is not afraid to challenge me to look at myself, etc. I enjoy the adult-like approach. I love them both dearly, though, don't get me wrong. It is just WAY easier to talk with my MIL.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I am very close to my adult childern 18,18,20
    tlc99

Answer by tlc99 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have 4 and 2 are adults.A 25 yr old son and 19 yr old daughter.I am close to them and the 4 siblings are close to each other also.Our 25 yr old calls several times a week on his way to or from work just for a short chat.If he wants to talk about something specific he will call in the evening or weekend.My daughter is the same pattern only for her it is on the shuttle to or from a class.We are ecstatic our son becomes a capt on Sept 1.His next move will bring him down to the lower 48 and his assignments being considered for him range from 3 hrs to 12 hrs away..It is all good because he is in Anchorage now and we are in Houston.Though during deployment I learned distance is relative. When he was in Afghanistan suddenly Anchorage was MUCH closer than before.Don't worry you can be equally close to boys as you are to girls.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 5:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I wish I was closer to my mother, she lives 2 hours away and seems so busy :P She has blew me off 3 times in 2 weeks to come visit. I haven't seen her since June I think. We were very close my whole life, then my parents got an unexpected divorce. I'm an only child and at time feels alone.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 3:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2010