Does your preschooler still sleep with you?

Our son is 3 1/2 and probably 6 nights out of the week he ends up in our bed or in his roll away bed in our room by morning. He starts out in his room, most nights but my husband and I are just too tired to keep putting him back in his room in the middle of the night. It doesn't really bother us that he sneaks in and we get plenty of private time. I plan on getting our boy on a good schedule/routine in the fall but we're going on vacation next month and I think it'd be a waste of time to try to get him in his bed all the time just to mess it up in a few weeks.
Anyway, what do you think? Are we bad parents for not putting him back in his own room every night?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 10:13 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Makensey starts off in her room but always ends up in mine. I dont mind. My husband works overnights so, why should we both sleep alone. LOL. She will not always want to sleep with me. I like to savor the little moments that she still actually likes me.
    Makenseysmom

Answer by Makenseysmom at 5:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My DD is same age, she goes to bed in her room, but she wakes up around 12 or 1 and I'm just soo tired, I lay down with her and go right back to sleep. No, I don't think you are bad parents at all...I say do what you can to get sleep, when they are older, they want their own bed, with you not in it....LOL
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 10:18 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• No ur not bad parents but with him getting older the longer u wait the hard it is going to be. My oldest is 4 and while she is with me she sleeps all night by herself. But when she goes to her fathers she sleeps with someone every night or she throws a fit. If u and ur both let him know that he isnt going to get his way then im pretty sure he will sleep in his room. Some times with kids just talkin to them to explan it helps. But if u give in or ur hubby does them ur little one is always gonna cry to that person until they get there way. I would start now and just explan on vacation that when u get back home its back to there own room. Sooner is better than later i always say. But thats just me.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Thanks, girls! I think we'll try to get him back into his room this week and then just explain that the cruise is something special and he'll have to be a big boy and sleep in his own room when we get back.
    Thanks again!
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My son slept with me until age five. Then, I moved him with no issue. He always slept in my bed from birth, but, moved fine at 5.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My kids are 3 & 4... And we still co-sleep with both of them. My 3yo shares a bed with me... My 4yo shares a bed with my DH...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:30 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My 4 year old has never slept in bed with me except when she is sick. She is the 2nd child and with her brother he slept with me on and off for almost 4 years and he was stubborn so we didnt even allow my daughter to start sleeping with us
    BriceAllisonMom

Answer by BriceAllisonMom at 1:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Nope. We co-slept for about 2 weeks after he was born. Bad idea for us. No one got any sleep. We both like our space. Plus, my marriage would suffer if we co-sleep. My son sleeps in his own bed, own room. He has always been independent and like doing things for himself. For example he broke himself from breastfeeding before a year and pacifier by 10months. He has always been really healthy and never gets sick. Well one night he was sick and my dh and I put him in bed with us. About 2am our son woke up. He asked to go to his own room! He told me he needed his space. lol

No you are not a bad parent. The only problem would be if something(emergency) happens and he needs to go stay with family. Would he sleep by himself? My son stays the night with my in-laws once/month. It is like their standing "date night." They all look forward to it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Oh he'd be fine if he was sleeping over somewhere else. Before my mom moved in with us he'd sleep fine over there. Now that she lives here, if my husband and I have a date night, he'll sneak into HER bed instead. lol
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2010