l work for my husband as a stores controller and sometimes its gets so hectic at work l end up carrying work issues at home like when he shouts at me in front of other staff members l get so pissed off l cant even allow him to touch me at home until l cool off.l cant balance being proffesional at work and being a hiusewife at home.Should l quit?

sweetnes

Asked by sweetnes at 10:18 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Would it work to have a work meeting at work when stuff like that happens. So when you walk out the door at night to go home, it is resolved so you can keep work at work. Not sure if it is a good idea to quit with the economy the way it is. It sounds like communication could be the key here. Have a meeting with him at work and let him know what he's doing isn't acceptable to you. Because if you did that to him in front of the other employees, he would be upset too. It isn't good to cut each other down in front of the other staff. It isn't easy balancing it all, work and home. You sound like you are trying to make it work, so he needs to try too.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:22 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think you should explain to your husband that he needs to treat you and all his other employees with respect. A boss should not be shouting at ANY employees. If he can't follow that rule then you do need to look for a different job - you'd need to do that even if he wasn't your husband. Working together often causes a lot of stress in a relationship, and sometimes it's just too much.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:26 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• He shouldn't be yelling at you in front of other staff members. If there is a problem, he needs to take you to the side and talk with you 1-on-1. No boss should ever yell at an employee in front of other employees or customers.
    I never worked with any of my boyfriends (I had a rule that I'd never date anyone I work with b/c it could make things awkward), but I did have a problem with bringing my anger from work to home and I'd take it out on my ex all the time. It's not good for a relationship.
    I don't think you should quit, unless it keeps happening. If it keeps happening, it could ruin your relationship with your husband.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:28 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think both of you should write up a contract. You can both write your own contract & put anything you want in it, then compare & compromise both contracts to make one contract you both can live with.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:33 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My first thought is that your dh may be treating you unfairly b/c he is so much closer to you than an average employee. I mean, think about it, would he normally yell at other employees in front of others?

If not, then you need to have a serious talk with dh, its his problem.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:44 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't quit unless you have another job to go to. Otherwise, you'll just be trading one problem for another. And I agree with everyone else. You need to talk about your feelings to him. Good luck.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes, or the relationship will end, eventually.

He is a turd to do that, especially in front of other people.

You ARE NOT your husband's employee.

You are partners, the business belongs to you, too.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• The first rule of management is: Praise in public, criticize in private. The truth is, your spouse is a lousy manager. Get him a book on management, like The One Minute Manager.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2010